Hemp

bangme33

Reaction score
no difference wots so ever only thing is frenzied hemp as already been cooked for you, with this hemp because its in its natural sate youve to cook it yourself
and add things. eg chilli flakes anaseed flaourings

rains

Reaction score
no difference wots so ever only thing is frenzied hemp as already been cooked for you, with this hemp because its in its natural sate youve to cook it yourself
and add things. eg chilli flakes anaseed flaourings
Thanks that is what i thought

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
advanatge of the bought hemp is it's ready done

but I buy hemp from a pet store, and saok and bio when needed - advanatge - price and it can be put in liquidiser to make a groundbait additive - disadvanetge - no good for the last minute trip as you need to prepare it and the smell wneh cooking

barbelboi

Reaction score
Once you get them going I don't think it matters what you use. I often take fifty to a hundred roach in a five or six hour session ( and probably miss almost as many again) on plastic hemp on the drop on waters that I fish feeding a few grains of the real stuff between casts.
PS Yes the smell Paul, as we don't have servants quarters to cook the stuff it's usually out of a tin.:wh

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Just ask them about the grain size before you buy. Some of the Hemp for bird food is absolutely tiny. I can't honestly remember where it comes from but I get Hemp which is quite large (Chilean maybe). It takes longer to cook but catapults out easier.

rains

Reaction score
Once you get them going I don't think it matters what you use. I often take fifty to a hundred roach in a five or six hour session ( and probably miss almost as many again) on plastic hemp on the drop on waters that I fish feeding a few grains of the real stuff between casts.
PS Yes the smell Paul, as we don't have servants quarters to cook the stuff it's usually out of a tin.:wh
where do you get your plastic hemp from because i find the real stuff a ****** to hook

stikflote

Reaction score
Half fill a old flask with hemp, fill almost to top with boiling water leave overnight drain off, job done no smell

quickcedo

Reaction score
Rains, if you choose a well split grain, queeze it so as to close the split. Then while holding the split closed push the bend only of an 18 into it. It will stay on.

barbelboi

Reaction score
where do you get your plastic hemp from because i find the real stuff a ****** to hook

I get mine from Harefield Tackle, but it should be freely available - it's hard to tell the difference looking at it from the real thing and one grain lasts years - easy to hook though and you only need to do it once in a session. If you're interested I'll check out the brand name next time I'm there.
Jerry

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I buy mine from Jollys (who have nationwide stores(?) where it is sold in bulk. I get mine in High Wycombe but they do have store in Reading Berks...

Soak it overnight and then boil/simmer gently til it splits. I'm only using it for feed so size not important but for ther hook you may have to be more choosy!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Jollyes" with an "e", which may look posh, but loses them custom in the age of google.
Here y'are: Jollyes Pet Superstore |?Jollyes
They also do "giant hemp" for the hook (squeeze the seed end-to-end, the split will open. Insert bend of hook, arse-first; release, and the split closes, holding onto the hook. Sort of...), tares, wheat, bran and loads of other goodies. No ewe nuts, though, at my local branch. Blast!
Not cheap, but if you're local, profit and petrol might be less than delivery from elsewhere.

chav professor

Reaction score
I would never drain off the fluid, as it holds a lot of the atractors............

I have little bottles of the stuff (hemp liquor) frozen for mixing ground bait/bead mash.

does anyone favour using stale hemp - I haven't used it, but I seem to remember someone saying that it gets better after being left for a few days for some species????

donfish

Reaction score
Enterpise Tackle do artificial hemp,both sinking and floating,as well as a range of other artificial baits.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Stale hemp: - carp have been know to rip the bottom up for hemp so far gone that - well, it isn't nice to be around.
It might be worth adding a pinch of yeast if you plan to experiment, to stand a better chance of getting fermentation rather than putrefaction!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I get my hemp and crushed hemp here.

Haiths Hemp Seed Whole

Apart from the Thermos method, I also used tip a load in a plastic bucket (with a sealed lid) pour on boiling water to cover and seal the lid.
Leave overnight it's done just right.

Now,I got hold of a cheap 8 litre Baby Burco boiler on Ebay and use that in the garage, no smells during cooking.

Freezes well in batches

Last edited: