Polish tradition gives our fish stocks a battering

I

Ian Cloke

Eastern European fishermen have angered the local angling community by making the most of an old bylaw.

The rising numbers of Polish nationals in Bedford have been blamed by fishermen for depleting stocks as they claim they have illegally been keeping their catch for the dinner table rather than returning them to the water.

But the Poles are not breaking the law as there is a bylaw in the eastern region which allows fisherman to keep two fish per day ? as long as they have a fishing licence.

While freshwater fish such as carp, perch, roach, bream and pike are considered inedible by the British, in many central and eastern European countries they are regarded as delicacies.

In Poland carp is part of a traditional meal eaten on Christmas Eve. The meal starts with a soup made from the head, fins and other discarded parts of the fish and is followed by fried carp with potatoes and vegetables.

As tensions rise between British and migrant fisherman, the Environment Agency has responded to the situation to restore peace on the riverbanks and to prosecute thieves by sending out ?high-impact fisheries enforcement? officers.

These officers will have the same powers as police when enforcing fisheries law. They have also been trained in surveillance techniques.

But the Environment Agency recently sent out staff with a reporter from The Angling Timesto check the situation.

This investigation found 75 per cent of the anglers questioned in this area were east Europeans and all the fishermen had licenses.

A spokesman for the Environment Agency said: ?Our recent investigation found that Eastern European fisherman do have licences so they are able to fish in public rivers and lakes.

?There is also a bylaw in the eastern region which allows fisherman to keep two fish per day. In some parts of the country you are not allowed to keep any fish and in others it is up to six fish.

?However, this bylaw does not mean that we are not taking fish theft seriously. If anyone suspects this is going on near them please call us on 0800 807060 immediately.?

john bird

Reaction score
i am thing of going to northern IRELAND for a fishing holiday can anybody recomend some good lodges and places fish?

john bird

Reaction score
i am think of going to northern IRELAND for a fishing holiday can anybody recomend some good lodges and places fish?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

They found the bylaw easily enough seeing they don't understand English.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
You will have gathered I dont like them,they dont understand our culture but understand our benefit system better than the SS

I

Ian Cloke

John, there are reports of a gang (18) of them, paying a visit to my local water. We're waiting for them to return, so we can show them a bit of a traditional welcome ;-))

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
giving our fish stocks a battering at least there cooking them in the traditional manner,ian was that pun intended pure class that one

Graham Daubney 2

Reaction score
If the reports in AT are to be belived there were fifty nightlines found on the 16ft alone as well as a bloody great fyke net. Also zander and pike heads being found. Don't fish the Middle Level at night because it's not safe? Unbelievable. Problems on the Nene both in and around Peterborough,Reports going to the EA about problems on the Welland and nothing being done.

I certainly hope these new people in the EA hit the ground running.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Its not just the fish they are killing they also kill young swans cattle anything that moves.They pollute their own countries with thiefing and killing then infest our country.
If anyone can tell me what benefits they bring to this country i will show you rocking horse shit

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

Ain't happening on the Ribble though is it guys?

Starts in B and modern spelling ends it in X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I think it's all mainly propaganda started by the Torys.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's happening everywhere Phil, by the sounds of it. I don't think anyone has argued with that.

On your reckoning though, they're using the Ribble thread to help them plunder the Ribble.

Which thread are they using for the rest of the country?

F

Frothey

i would've thought you'd all be happy to see a few carp dissapear......

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Well I actually witnessed it on Saturday.

Car pulls up, bloke jumps out walks down bank tackles up to 2 rods. Fills bucket with water.
Catches fish puts it in bucket, does this several times.

Realises he is being watched!!

We inform club bailiff who tells the bloke he can't take the fish away [club rules not EA] bit of an argument ensues. We move closer, bloke stops arguing, bailiff empties bucket into river as he utters those famous words F**k O*f. Bloke ceases fishing on recognising plain and simple English and leaves.
Probably went to a quieter spot.

I would add that the location hasn't been mentioned on FM.

Colin

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

Graham there were those who doubted it!

I stand by the questions I asked!
Your job to defend this site and say it isn?t happening here?..fully accept that, don?t agree with it though!

For anyone to suggest they don?t look at websites and potentially use that information is naive in my view.

Graham whilst you have the ability to check members ISP addresses, you don?t have the ability to check the same address of those who just look, do you?

How many members do you have Graham with none UK, US, ISP addresses?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I was chatting to an official on the Severn recently, he told us how the Polish are going out in boats and pulling a net across the river at night!!!

I believe it is happening on a much larger scale all across the country and is worse than any of us can immagine and it will only increase until something is done about it!

Poaching is poaching! Bye-laws my arse!

Bang em up and send them home!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've never doubted there are EE's plundering the Ribble or anywhere else.

I agree that it IS happening here. I don't know where I've said otherwise. And I've got nothing to defend, other than that I do not believe the plundering is down to the Ribble thread.

As for the rest of your post Phil, it just doesn't make sense as that information, whatever it is, doesn't prove a thing one way or the other.

You've got a very weak allegation that obviously gets weaker the more you try to justify it.