Backing to Fly Line Connection

Jon Strutt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure this is a daft question and I'm missing something, but here goes.

I'm trying to spool up my fly reel with some DT4F line. I've attached the backing to the reel and wound some on. The fly line has a fused loop at the reel end. What is the best way to connect the two. Initially I thought tie a loop in the backing and bob's uncle - loop to loop job done. But, of course, this would invlove threading the entire fly line through the loop. Am I being incredibly thick? Or is there an easier way.

Any pointers very gladly recieved - and preferably before the missus gets back and sees the lounge covered in backing and fly line!

Thanks in advance.

Jon

S

Shrek

You can tie a simple blood knot or a tucked blood knot. both will work perfectly well.

alex laurie

Reaction score
Jon,

The loop to loop is the safest way. a half blood knot could cut through the fly line. Unlikely in trout fishing, but a real possibility with a strong leader for salmon.

To make the loop to loop, all you need to do is to tie a really big loop in the backing (big enough for the reel to go through).

Pass your backing loop through the loop on the fly line and then pass your reel through the backing loop. Pull tight and wind on your line. Easy peasy.

Jon Strutt

Reaction score
Adrian, Alex,

Many thanks for your responses.

Adrian - had a good season? Still sticking to the fly? I managed, at last, in August to catch my first barbel. Actually, two from a stretch downstream of Stratford. Very chuffed indeed.

Regards,

Jon

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'd tie a simple blood knot. With a 4 weight I guess you will be using a lightish leader, 5 lb max? A blood knot of say 20lb backing to the fly line will certainly be stronger than 5lb leader, so nothing to worry about. I guess you're fishing rivers rather than stillwaters, so the chances of a fish running out the whole line is, well virtually nil.

alex laurie

Reaction score
Ric said... "the chances of a fish running out the whole line is, well virtually nil."

You are right there Ric, but the one we all want to land is the one which does just that. No point in putting backing on at all if you only expect small fish.

The thing is, you might do what you dream of and hook a monster. I've been lucky enough to have trout to 5lb 4 oz on fly from my local river and have seen fish which are around the double figure mark. so I want to make sure things are ship-shape at my end of the line.

In New Zealand, I've had trout run a long, long way and I'm not talking enormous fish here, just good sized fish.

Having said that, on a #4 line, Jon will be using a light leader, as you say. So a half-blood would be fine. I tend to go for the loop to loop myself. Just in case....

S

Shrek

My season has been incredibly spares on the fishing front due to situations at home and work.

I'm off Grayling fishing this weekend though in Llangollen, weather permitting!!!

Jon Strutt

Reaction score
Alex,

By the time I'd receibed your advice (large loop, pass through the reel through) I managed to achieve what I set out to do. As I'm fishing for Grayling it's probably overkill, but who knows what I'll hook.

Adrian - hope the grayling fishing is good. I picked my first one up last weekend from the Teme at Tenbury Wells. I've got two days on the Upper Test this week, which should be great.

Tight lines, all, and thanks for the help.

Jon

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Most of the time I nail knot the backing to the fly line, whip a covering of silk on it and then varnish it.

It makes a nice smooth and very strong join.

In some cases I use hollow backing which I "inch worm" up the fly line and then locate with the bit of plastic tube supplied with braided loop kits. Don't forget to add a few dabs of superglue.

M

MarkTheSpark

I'm 100 percent with Ron on this one. Loop-to-loop is a poor connection, not because of strength - it's best on that score - but because it's bulky and will get snagged in the rings if you have a big fish sets off at full pelt. Doesn't take much of a jolt to snap your leader at a knot.

Cut the loop off the end of the fly line and nail knot mono backing on, or just as Ron says, inch-worm woven mono over it, remembering to thread your tubing on to the backing first!

Belt and braces, I like to use a good smear of epoxy over the join, or a drop of superglue will also help bond it all neatly.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

A really fit ressie rainbow of only 3 lbs or so will run up to 100 yards at high speed on occasions. This sort of fighting power is mind blowing to coarse anglers who take up trout fishing.

I once saw a bloke lose the whole of his fly line because he did not have a secure join of the line to the backing.

Those high altitude rainbows in South Africa were incredible fighters at times.

Jon Strutt

Reaction score
Hi all... and thanks for the info, again. I did stick with the loop to loop, but once it had been on for a while I could see that the loop was beginning to wear. So I take your point on that one.

I was fishing for Grayling with Brownies as added bonus. So, a record breaking fish was never going to strip too much line.

I will, however, be respooling before I use that set up again and be following your advice.

As an aside - Adrian, how was the Grayling?

Cheers,

Jon