HOW TO ENJOY FISHING

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Having a walk about on the lake, river or wherever you fancy wetting a line can be very enjoyable. And the interesting thing is, you don?t really have to catch much to have a good day. For instance, instead of taking all the usual gear, why not just take a rod & line, landing net, tin of maggots, or a few rounds of bread? A pocket full of odds and ends, and a flask of tea.

Leave the heavy and cumbersome thermal gear at home it isn?t that cold just yet, but gear yourself up as if you are going for a bit of a ramble.

I did just this a couple of days ago. It?s really surprising how much more time you seem to have for everything that surrounds you. And it makes a nice change from seriously chasing the targets that you have been after all summer long. Even though I didn?t get my target fish this summer, it was quite hard work. What with all the thinking, learning, and planning that goes into such events, and blanking, it can still take its toll on you.

I have reached that time of year where another change of strategy is well overdue. A change is as good as a rest as they say.
I found it quite refreshing to see how many different types of toadstools that are about growing on rotted tree stumps, or standing proud amongst the decaying leaves.
The odd wild flower that is still hanging on for dear life such as white campion or ( Arum Maculatum) Cuckoo Pint to give it its more common name, with its marbled leaves that are still looking good in the more sheltered, frost free places.

Leave your next trip until early afternoon, and this way you will not only be around for the best time of the day which is usually early evening, but you will also be there when the owls start to call. Yep, fishings as good as ever it was with a different approach.
I have said it before, take time out and give that Chub or Carp that you can see in the margins a bit of thought. I know I could catch it, and you know you could catch it. But sometimes it?s better to just watch. It?s a great feeling.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Yesterday was such a day (the grayling fish-in).

Just a rod, bag, net and a lot of walking. Caught plenty but also saw some monstrous pheasants (probably too fat to fly, just strutting around), several kingfishers and a pike just lying there in a few inches of gin clear water

Thought I was stalking a deer as I was following the tracks in the very frosty grass....turned out to be Peter J. who got there early and was off to catch the first fish!

I

Ian Cloke

Well said Baz, I love to go for a walk along the river, with a bait apron on, carrying just a rod and a landing net. Just pre-feeding a couple of swims at my leisure, then watching the wildlife for a while, before actually fishing. Catching anything is a bonus, on such care-free days:))

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

That's right Ian mate.
I have a lovely little stretch of the Dane earmarked for the coming months. My Wilson rod and tin of maggots will be all I need for trotting a float down, picking the Dace and Roach off along with the very odd Chub and Greyling. It is very relaxing fishing with plenty of time to think about absolutely nothing.