Rod Buying Advice Please

JY Kelly

Reaction score
Hi all,
For reasons that are far too boring to go into here I find myself with the time & energy to start trout fishing again next season.
I last fished around 12 years ago & was a regular at Leighton reservoir nr. Masham so I think that will be my hunting ground - at least to start with.
To the point, I'm looking to buy a rod that will pretty much serve as an all-rounder for regular reservoir outings for ~?150.
I've had a look in one or two tackle shops but I'm still not sure what to get - I'm also looking for a good starter rod for my 10 yr old.
Has anyone got any ideas where to start or maybe a short list?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There are some excellent rods in that price range. Have a look at the Sharpes of Aberdeen or the Greys range.

As a starter rod for still waters I normally recommend a 9 foot rod that will cast a 6 or a 7 weight line with a middle to tip action. Nothing too poky.

S

Shrek

I have a Greyflex M2 9'6" #7/8 3 piece that I'm looking to get rid of.

Email me if you're interested.

alex laurie

Reaction score
I can vouch for the Sharpes Gordon range and also Vision's 3 Zone range.

Like Ron, I'd go for a 9ft for a #6 or a #7.

Don't know what your son should start with lengthwise, but I had a Vision Intro which cost less than ?60 and was a lovely rod to use. Very forgiving, but could cast a long line.

JY Kelly

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys - I'll have a look around at the rods mentioned.
I'm not ready to buy for a couple of months or so - so I'll pass on the offer of the Greyflex, thanks all the same.

M

MarkTheSpark

Don't forget to check out the Trout Fisherman mag reviews - did one recently on ?150 rods, I think. The office could send you a back issue.

Say what you like about the TF testers, they're genuine experts - I wish I could cast half as well as them.

The brand name affixed to a rod is pretty much immaterial; some right old sh1te knocking around with a posh label, and some good rods with cheap labels.

Bloke

Reaction score
Check out my ebay auctions....just search Bloke Rods
Mick

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The TF testers are all good fly fishers and know what they are talking about.

I doubt very much if they ever get a back hander to say something is good when it isn't. They have their reputations at stake.

Bloke rods are very good. They are built on Harrison blanks.

sis the roach

Reaction score
its all sound advice and good rods that been mentioned but myself would go for a 10ft steve parton builds alot of rods all on harrison blanks even some of the sage rod blanks are now produced in china now the n e c show coming up gives you the chance to try the rods & lines on them my lad hes 10 started last year useing one my sierras ssts 10ft rods

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have two rods built by Steve Parton on Harrison Blanks. Very nice they are too.