Dealing with crayfish

Rasmus Keis

Reaction score
Hello

How would you approach this:

Lake, 2 acres, up to 6-7 metres deep. Lots of clay, very clear water. Its categorised as a very special type of nature that requires protection, so absolutely no groundbait (think a small PVA-bag will be alright). Very big tench and big carp (20+). Absolutely packed with crayfish, more than any other water I know in Denmark.

What to do? :confused:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Rasmus,

Plastic Baits (Enterprise range).

Glug them up with a flavour.

Bob

noknot

Reaction score
Have a look at these Rasmus:

bcmaggot.jpg

barbelboi

Reaction score
Good answer Bob
Ramus, I've caught many tench and carp on boyant plastic baits (I prefer 3 casters/maggots on a hair, in conjunction with pva mesh/pellets. The weight of the hook keeps it concealed in the feed with the plastic waving about just above the pellets. Therefore it's the first thing the fish takes when it starts hoovering. Personnaly, I have never felt the need to glug them and use them straight out the packet.
Jerry

cg74

Reaction score
Hemp and tiger nuts for the carp and real red maggots (dead or alive) with fake maggots as the hook bait for the tench.

Rasmus Keis

Reaction score
Thanks so far :)

I thought of plastic baits myself, but have never tried them. Feels a bit strange. How do you fish them? Boltrig? Fixed/semifixed? Or...??

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thanks so far :)

I thought of plastic baits myself, but have never tried them. Feels a bit strange. How do you fish them? Boltrig? Fixed/semifixed? Or...??

Rasmus,

They can be fished on any of the above rigs, I have fish them straight on the hook ot stuck them on the hair.

Bob

bloodtype

Reaction score
Pop them in a sandwich with a bit of mayo, rocket, a grind of black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice ;)

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Ive fished a few waters with crays in for carp. Did well and got no trouble off the crays using maize fished over hemp. I was recommended Mistral baits "Rosehip Isotonic" boilies these worked and the crays didnt touch them, didnt have to resort to bait cages which im glad of as i reall wouldnt feel confident using one of these round my baits.

Hope this gives you a few ideas :)