Carp on the fly

bloodtype

Reaction score
As anyone here tried this? Were you successful?

Interested to hear people's thoughts on the subject.
Cheers, Ben

bigchub

Reaction score
There was an article in an old magazine I have by Chris Ball where he caught a carp on the fly. I'll try & dig it and send you the information it had in it.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I caught Carp on the fly at Rooksbury mill years ago. I seem to remember it was a 'bead' fly that did the trick. A simple red, white, red, white etc bead pushed round te bend and glued in place. Allowed to sink to the bottom and then twitched as the fish passed by.

BarryC

Reaction score
Plenty now use fly fishing gear for carp with an imitation dog biscuit instead of an imitation fly.
Have a look at this.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO80SCAXpDQ]Carp on Fly: Fly Fishing For Carp in the UK - YouTube[/ame]

sam vimes

Reaction score
Never done it myself but I saw a fly angler take a carp lake to pieces once. No one else was doing a thing on conventional carp tactics, he had four in under an hour on nymphs inched across the lake bed on a very slow retrieve. The venue was a Oxon/Wilts commercial trout fishery that had a single coarse lake tucked out of the way. The fly angler concerned would fish for carp when he got bored of the trout or caught his limit. Was quite an eye opener having never seen it before but I'm still not inspired enough to give it a go.

bloodtype

Reaction score
bigchub said:
There was an article in an old magazine I have by Chris Ball where he caught a carp on the fly. I'll try & dig it and send you the information it had in it.

Thanks Big Chub, much appreciated. I guess the problem with many Carp waters would be the lack of casting space. Maybe a roll cast would do?
I can imagine it being a lot of fun once you've hooked one!

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

sam vimes said:
Never done it myself but I saw a fly angler take a carp lake to pieces once. No one else was doing a thing on conventional carp tactics, he had four in under an hour on nymphs inched across the lake bed on a very slow retrieve. The venue was a Oxon/Wilts commercial trout fishery that had a single coarse lake tucked out of the way. The fly angler concerned would fish for carp when he got bored of the trout or caught his limit. Was quite an eye opener having never seen it before but I'm still not inspired enough to give it a go.

I think I'll give it a go at some point. I quite enjoy trying the unconventional ways.

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

MarkTodd said:
I caught Carp on the fly at Rooksbury mill years ago. I seem to remember it was a 'bead' fly that did the trick. A simple red, white, red, white etc bead pushed round te bend and glued in place. Allowed to sink to the bottom and then twitched as the fish passed by.

A sort of Bloodworm pattern (ish)? I'll have remember to tie one like that if I ever go for it.

Windy

Reaction score
Brown deershair beetle fly, like the head of a Muddler with no body, after half an hour of feeding floating dog biccys....
Wait for the mob to start taking off the surface in competition with each other and then plop your fly in the middle of the biccys.

Dry fly at its best :).

15lbs of carp on a #6 fly rod with a 6lb tippet is more fun than you will get on almost any put and take trout lake.

It is especially amusing when the Carp chappies come up to you and look at your fly tackle in horror and tell you that you shouldn't be using such a thin fragile rod which will surely be snapped by the first 5lb'er to take your fly. Then watch their eyes go all round and unbelieving when you bully a 15 to the bank quicker than they can manage with a 2.75lb poker without the risk of a hook pull !

The tricky bit can be keeping an eye on your fly and not confusing it with one of the other real free floating biccys. Nothing worse than striking when it is a biccy that has been taken and not the fly !

In passing the Enterprise baits artificial Tiger Nuts side hooked on a size 6 or 8 also make a good fake doggy bic for surface floater fishing, tho they are a bit too heavy to fly cast.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Had a 16lb Carp on an imitation dog biscuit in June, fishing as Windy described. Get them feeding on dog biscuits and then cast the imitation in the middle of them, complete mayhem! Not on a commercial by the way but our very natural syndicate lake. The biggest limitation is that carp lakes aren't manicured to allow back casting in most swims. You've either got to be very good at casting or try and get the carp feeding in areas where you have enough room!

bloodtype

Reaction score
Brown deershair beetle fly, like the head of a Muddler with no body, after half an hour of feeding floating dog biccys....
Wait for the mob to start taking off the surface in competition with each other and then plop your fly in the middle of the biccys.

Dry fly at its best :).

15lbs of carp on a #6 fly rod with a 6lb tippet is more fun than you will get on almost any put and take trout lake.

It is especially amusing when the Carp chappies come up to you and look at your fly tackle in horror and tell you that you shouldn't be using such a thin fragile rod which will surely be snapped by the first 5lb'er to take your fly. Then watch their eyes go all round and unbelieving when you bully a 15 to the bank quicker than they can manage with a 2.75lb poker without the risk of a hook pull !

The tricky bit can be keeping an eye on your fly and not confusing it with one of the other real free floating biccys. Nothing worse than striking when it is a biccy that has been taken and not the fly !

In passing the Enterprise baits artificial Tiger Nuts side hooked on a size 6 or 8 also make a good fake doggy bic for surface floater fishing, tho they are a bit too heavy to fly cast.

This all sounds fantastic, thanks for the advice. I shall have to dig out the old fly rod and reel and give it a go. Can you recommend anywhere in the Surrey area for trying this out? I'm fairly new to the area and only slowly getting my bearings.

---------- Post added at 01:23 ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 ----------

Had a 16lb Carp on an imitation dog biscuit in June, fishing as Windy described. Get them feeding on dog biscuits and then cast the imitation in the middle of them, complete mayhem! Not on a commercial by the way but our very natural syndicate lake. The biggest limitation is that carp lakes aren't manicured to allow back casting in most swims. You've either got to be very good at casting or try and get the carp feeding in areas where you have enough room!

I shall have to improve my casting then! I love fishing with floaters for carp so this all sounds right up my street. A 16lber would be an amazing fight on a fly rod - very jealous. Thanks Stu.

Do you tend to use a fly leader or a length of monofilament?

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Do you tend to use a fly leader or a length of monofilament?
I used mono, same type that I use for 'normal' floater fishing, about 9' long. I used heavier tackle than Windy, 7 weight rod and 8lb leader.

Sportfish sell dog biscuit 'flies' if you don't tie your own. If you work in town, pop into Farlows.

Last edited:

bloodtype

Reaction score
I used mono, same type that I use for 'normal' floater fishing, about 9' long. I used heavier tackle than Windy, 7 weight rod and 8lb leader.

Sportfish sell dog biscuit 'flys' if you don't tie your own. If you work in town, pop into Farlows.

Ace, thanks Stu. That sounds like it'll match up nicely with the kit I have and with some long nights ahead of me (newborn on the way) I'll have the time to tie a few flies.

geggsnick

Reaction score
Two guys on our local lake regularly fly fish for the carp and seem to do very well at it too, not sure what flys they use but it looks like a lot of fun...

bloodtype

Reaction score
Two guys on our local lake regularly fly fish for the carp and seem to do very well at it too, not sure what flys they use but it looks like a lot of fun...

It must be a good fight I would imagine, even with a little carp...

geggsnick

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggsnick

It must be a good fight I would imagine, even with a little carp...

well wether it is a coincedence or not i don't know but hey do seem to pick out the better stamp of fish and there are lots of 3-4lb ers in there but they seem to get the doubles all the time...

quickcedo

Reaction score
I guess the problem with many Carp waters would be the lack of casting space. Maybe a roll cast would do?
This cast can be done from the bank and a whole line put out with practice.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ijfU4cG7As&feature=related]Switch Cast - YouTube[/ame]