Had My Gear Nicked

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Found out today that my garage has been broken into and some barstewards have nicked most of my gear! :eek:(

Just wanted to have a rant to be honest and to make sure all you guys gear is locked up as safe as possible from these littles scumbags!

Was meant to be doing a session next week but will be difficult with just a bedchair and unhooking mat!

I'm gutted!

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Romford in Essex fella.

Gonna try and get to a few Boot Sales if poss. Just hope for their health I don't find any of it! ;o)

S

Shrek

Would it be worth you posting some details of the kit you've lost so others can on this site and in the same area can keep their eyes open for you?

Hope you get as much of it back on the insurance as you can. I've had it happen 3 times so I know how you feel.

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Thanks thief. (I think with a name like that) lol

Mainly Nash gear to be honest. The most obvious item is a Combat Speed II bivvy. One of the poles is bent (right hand side as you look at it).

It's funny coz I didn't have that much (so I thought) or no really expensive items but adding it up it's nearly ?1,500 not including terminal tackle!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
To far from me mate. I could have leant you the essentials if you had been a bit closer.

Hope you get the gear back if not find the toerags and teach them a lesson. I had five breakins in the space of 6 months a couple of years back.

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Bryan thats really kind of you.

A couple of mates will sort me out while I get everything sorted but the worst thing is I was looking after another mates gear aswell as he has no storage! God knows if the insurance will pay out on that!

I'm not even that angry at the moment. Just feel really gutted!

captain carrott

Reaction score
thtas a bugger insist the missus lets you keep it in the bedroom next time it will atleast be covered on the house insurance then.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Tim don't tell the insurance it's your mates gear, they won't pay out!

I know how you feel too, it is gutting!

Good luck mate.

Tim Ford

Reaction score
That was my worry Steve.

I think it's shocking how many people have been stolen from! Sad and shocking state of the times! Listen to me! Sound like an old pro! lol

Dave German

Reaction score
Dought you will find it on the boots mate, just out of interest had you recently insured it, only i did that, told them it was in a locked garage, within three months some toerag broke downthe door & nicked it, they came back the day after the new gear arrived as well, makes you think about call centre staff

W

Wolfman Woody

Bit late perhaps but have a read of this -

Click
and this
and even this.

Can't remember if it says so, but Mark is a policeman. His advice is therefore sound.

blankety blank

Reaction score
If your mate's gear is not covered by your insurance, then don't claim for it.

To do so would be a criminal offence.

Bad luck having the tackle nicked though. A reminder to us all to take more care. Like you I do not have many single expensive items, but when you tot it all up it would cost a fair bit to replace.

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the replies fellas and for those links Woody. Will have a proper read of them.

Luckily (I guess) I'm insured up to ?2k for the gear and I reckon with my mates stuff it's just gonna be slightly over that so hopefully it won't hit the pocket too hard.

I never thought it would happen to me so make sure all your's is as safe as possible guys! :eek:)

T

The Monk

thats a terrible thing to happen to you Tim, every anglers worst nightmare, all mine is kept under lock and key inside the house and alarmed, never trusted sheds mate

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Not the most secure things are they? Not gonna replace anything until I'm happy it's gonna be as secure as it can be though.

But who knows, hopefully my new gear will bring me greater luck! ;o)

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Well the forms are with the insurance company.

I was just wondering from other peoples experiences how long it takes to resolve? They have told me they are going to replace all the gear as opposed topay out! Will they be able to get hold of it all? Some of it isn't made anymore! Is this normal practice?

Was kinda hoping for a cheque so I could start over again buying less but better stuff! Never mind.

P

paul williams 2

Tim.....i got "hit" years ago and did get a cheque, but from what i can gather nowadays the insurance companies have done deals with certain tackle shops and will not now issue cheques.

I believe Fosters of Birmingham are on the insurers list if you need that type of shop.

Don't let the insurers dictate to you what gear they give you though...you tell them what really is the up to date nearest equivelent to the gear you lost and stick to your guns!

W

Wolfman Woody

Tim, it's likely that you may get a visit from a loss adjuster. Don't worry about this, he's trying to see which is the best way of the Insurance company replacing your goods in the best and cheapest way for them.

For example, when we were broken into 15 years ago we had a load jewelery stolen, video recorder, a laptop PC, and a Rolew watch. We reeived a cheque for all the other stuff because we couldn't directly replace it and had to choose alternatives. With the Rolex watch, it was possible to replace it with the latest model and they negotiated with a local dealer and got themselves a ?600 discount.

The loss adjuster is there to help you, he's normally paid on the total amount you receive so the more you get, the more he gets. It's likely you will receive a cheque though.

Tim Ford

Reaction score
Thanks Paul.

I was gonna try and look at the positive in that my 'mistake' purchases would be refunded so I could buy something better/needed.

Was also looking at upgrading next year aswell so that would have been a touch aswell.

Still gonna keep my fingers crossed for a cheque mind! ;o)