carp society

P

Paul Gallagher

anyone go to the carp society winter show? was it really worth the ?18 entrance fee just to go shopping? maybe i should have spent the 18 quid on bait and gone fishing? by the way i didnt buy anything anyway!

C

Carp Angler

Since when has anything the CS has got involved with been worth the money?

Most of the time it's a tackle tarts reunion, or instant carpers trying to buy the latest gadget that they stupidly think will catch them more fish.

P

Paul Gallagher

sorry, i did buy a tub of pop ups, ive only just realised as i just sobered up from drowning my sorrows as i had just spent 18 spondoolies on getting into a tackle shop with a bar. is the carp society in some kind of financial difficulty for them to warrant charging ?18!

C

Carp Angler

The Carp Society has been in financial difficulty since it was started.
At it's height there were 15,000 members at ?20 a throw, now there are only about 3,000.
To maintain their outgoings they must make up the shortfall some other way.
Running lakes all around the country costs money you know.

A

Andy Davis

I went last year, and was glad i didn't go this year !!

N

Neil Wayte

I spent the day on the RMC stand and judging by the amount of people walking round there were plenty of people willing to pay the enterance fee.Wether it was worth it or not I can't say but there were hunderds of people there.

C

Carp Angler

Did you have a walk around Neil or did the boss make you slave away all day?

M

Mark Tucknott

I gave it a miss this year & braved the cold to land a 31Lb 10 oz Mirror saturday nightmuch more enjoyable

P

Paul Gallagher

carp angler clearly, you are a little confused, on which side of the fence do you stand ? do you have an opinion one way or the other? you say that since when has the cs has got involved with been worth the money , then you say that running lakes around the country costs money (you know!)

C

Carp Angler

Paul

confused?
I don't think so.

If I was running a lake I would ensure it was a profitable concern before taking it on
(by selling long term permits perhaps)

I would then bolster the monies by holding numerous 'events' and 'fish-ins' throughout the year to ensure that I had a healthy profit.
(and enough spare for essential maintainence)

Several questions then arise from this....

Firstly, should they be involved in running lakes which are obviously sucking up huge amounts of resource?

Secondly, where the hell is all the money going when nearly everyone is working on a voluntary basis?

Confused, no,
concerned, definitely.

P

Paul Gallagher

i couldnt agree with you more carp angler, where does all the money go? i dont really care as i am not a member. but didnt the cs withdraw their magazine from the newsagents shelves and make it only avalible to members. i know a couple of young carp anglers who enjoy reading and learning from this magazine (was it carp fisher?) which i belive has a good young anglers section, these anglers are the future of our sport and i dont think that they should be forced into joining something they dont want to just so they can carry on reading a magazine they enjoy and learn from, carp fishing is far too expensive as it is what with having to pay for membership fees! didnt the cs make a profit from this publication on general sale with all the advertising?

R

Rob Brownfield

Am I right in saying that some, well, most of the major tackle companies have pumped money into the CS over the years...and many of the fish-ins have had free access to the waters etc...

R

Ron Clay

I think that ?18.00 to get into a tackle show where the object is to sell tackle is sheer extortion. It's like charging a entrance fee to get into Asda!!

There are enough rip offs taking place in angling without this sort of highway robbery.

No wonder the CS have falling membership.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron...
?18 is nowt when u look at bike and car shows! And what do u do when u go to one of theese...u stare at a bike or car that u can see parked outside your house for free..hehe

N

Neil Wayte

I did get off the stand but only to go to the loo.I managed to buy a small rod quiver for the river but apart from that I didn't get to see much of the show.
Some one had the audacity to say that I talked more the Chris Ball.I'll take that as a compliment because the man is a ledgend when it comes to entertaining carp anglers.
That nice man Mr Wilmott also came by the RMC stand and dumped a huge bag of Barbel bait in my lap.His parting words were some thing like chuck that in a river and catch a few and tell me what you think.
So lookout the Thames Barbel because the Fat man is coming.Cheers to Phil and Edwin for the info.Must be terrible getting pestered by Biggish Barbel when your carp fishing.Let alone those big Chub that eat Boilies.

R

Ron Clay

Neil,

I fully agree with you about good old Chris Ball. He is truly my favourite carp angler because he can do things the other soulless lot cannot, like laugh at himself.

There is always going to be some fun with Chris around. I have known him on and off since 1970.

D

Daniel Jefferies

well i went and i had a top day out! sorry to go against everyones moaning but in what other sport could u pay ?18 and then meet and chat to the top people in the sport like Chris Ball, Frank warick etc etc. Could u go visit and chat to David Beckham for 18 quid?!?! Plus i sved ?180 on a set of century rods. If you didnt go stop moaning!!!!

keeping it real

danny

C

Carp Angler

With approx 50,000 carpers in this country and less than 3000 of them in the CS and only 300 turning up to the show, perhaps the CS should sit up and listen to people instead of saying they're moaning.

You should ask why people didn't go.

Keeping it realistic......

P

Paul Gallagher

What with the state of the tackle shop industry at the moment, im sure you could have gone to a local tackle shop and got a massive discount on a set of rods, probally to the same degree, your local tackle shop needs the buisness, and they will do the same discounts, yeah its great to get a bargain, but where are you gonna buy your bait & tackle when its gone under?

its not just carp anglers, its all fishermen

keeping it reel...........