The recent legalised pollution of the Thames

Barry Kneller

Reaction score
Due the recent pollution of the Thames which resulted in the almost total destruction of a large section of the River's eco-system in the London area I have entered the following petition on the government petitions web site here:

Stop all untreated sewage discharges into our waterways - e-petitions

This problem of legalised pollution also affects most UK rivers - to help put a stop to this please sign the petition.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Barry

bloodtype

Reaction score
I second this. I was shocked to see a sewage overflow pipe located right next to the already threatened and ravaged River Wandle. Naively, I didn't realise that this was still common practice. A spillage there would be disastrous.

Barry Kneller

Reaction score
It is still very much common practice and completely legal.

Thames Water alone discharge large quantities of Sewage (mixed with storm water) approximately once a week, more often when there is heavy rain - the problems only become apparent when there is very little flow on the Thames. (which is most of the time, these days......)

For more information on this please take a look at the Thames Anglers Conservancy here: Free forum : THAMES ANGLERS' CONSERVANCY

Have a look at the 'Conservation Issues' section - you'll find it a great eye opener.

BTW - the TAC is free to join and does a great job of promoting Angling in the Thames and it's tributaries, all Anglers interested in the Thames should join.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Done, however, until the infrastructure is in place to cope, in London's case the Thames and Lea Tunnels, nothing will happen. Go on the TAC website, they have a lot of info on it and a video nasty of the incident.

Thames Anglers' Conservancy

Actually, if you haven't already, join them, it's free, they are making a difference.

Stu

richiekelly

Reaction score
Done, however, until the infrastructure is in place to cope, in London's case the Thames and Lea Tunnels, nothing will happen. Go on the TAC website, they have a lot of info on it and a video nasty of the incident.

Thames Anglers' Conservancy

Actually, if you haven't already, join them, it's free, they are making a difference.

Stu

done both tac a while ago petition now.

waggy

Reaction score
Done, Barry, if it's not nipped in the bud every river in the country will become a sewer again as the water companies get more confident about establishment complacency in stopping their grubby little game.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
great shout barry
may I suggest that anyone and everyone spreads the word, the more forums the better, and not just fishing
perhaps the Angling Trust will big it up as well
it wouldn't hurt to have a downloable poster for the tackle shops, is there anyone who could oblige

Lark

Reaction score
Signed - The way things are going you'll soon have to pay to go and see Thames roach and dace in an aquarium.... Great shout Barry.

Barry Kneller

Reaction score
Thanks for all your support lads - I've had much support from 'Magic' and TAC and virtually none from all the other groups I've contacted.

Still need more support though, only 29 signatures so far - it may well be seen by a lot of people as a lost cause, but even a few hundred or so signatures and it WILL be noticed by those with the power to change things.

Thanks again to all who signed.

waggy

Reaction score
Don't lose heart. It may take a while for a petition like this to gather momentum. Perhaps the Angling press would help by advertising and supporting it.

B

Berty

Don't lose heart. It may take a while for a petition like this to gather momentum. Perhaps the Angling press would help by advertising and supporting it.

Perhaps a few otters would help.

waggy

Reaction score
They would eventually, Berty, as a sign that water quality is improving.