Fox Mega Silk

njb51

Reaction score
I also like this stuff, Jeff. I've used it for barbelling on the Thames.

Very supple, and great camou.

I'm not too sure on the abrasion resistance of it though. Confident with it in open water, but less so next to snags.

W

Wolfman Woody

All braid suffers near snags and especially rocks, though Jonny.

I wouldn't, therefore, recommend it on the rocky Ribble for instance and there's one or two holes on the Thames I stay away from. Otherwise, it is a great material with a wide range of uses.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Being so thin Jeff does it pose any tangle problems when casting, especially in the longer lengths I have usually found braid can be a nightmare when casting and have tended to use it only with very short hooklengths.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
great stuff in open water. it is very very very poor on rock.

as for cammo it is number 1

W

Wolfman Woody

Yes, Graham.

Problems I'm trying to work out with John Roberts anti-tangle feeder booms, but with a lead attached and some anti-tangle rig sleaves. It's not so much how thin it is, but how soft and supple it is.

I'm trying to keep everything simple whilst making sure it's a safe (as possible) rig for the fish and yet doesn't tangle. Best tip is to use it with a heavy bait (ie NOT bread) like boilies or halibut pellets and feather the line out hard as you cast to make sure the bait stays in front of the lead.

It restricts long casting unless you were to use short hooklinks and rig tubing etc., but I'm trying to avoid all of that. For carp that's ok, but my barbelling I want it simple.

njb51

Reaction score
For barbelling, I usually use it with a length of flourocarbon in front of a shorter hooklength of mega silk. Not had a massive problem with tangles that I can think of.

D

DAN.

ITSGREAT FOR BREAM FISHING AND LIGHT CHUBBING.
I USE IT ALOT IN THE 8LB AND 1OLB FORM
BUT FOR BARBEL OVER ROCKS I PREFER BARBEL BRAID.

W

Wolfman Woody

Well, that's where we'll have to differ then Dan.

I have a spool of Barbel braid, bought it when it first came out. All it's used for now is tying hairs onto hooks that will eventually be tied to fluorocarbon.

I've had so many hooklinks break using barbel braid and much of those have been around either tree roots or rubble on the bottom. It's probably safer in open water up to it's poundage, but if I thought I would catch a fish heavier than the poundage I would use either Mantis or Snakebite.

I'm a big Fox fan in many respects, but sad to say, Barbel Braid has been one of their more disappointing, IMO.

D

DAN.

sorry to hear that woody but to date its never let me down but i suppose theres time but antill that date ill be sticking with that that ive got faith in .
but i do agree that snake bite and mantis are damb good braids for hook links and take some beeting.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

If I am useing a supple braid hooklength, I thread a small bag of loosefeed onto it. Obviously this not only alleviates tangles but puts the hookbait right amongst the feed.

If useing the supple braid as a combi link to nylon, would a four turn water knot be acceptable?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
When using a very thin braid like Fox Megasilk, you need to be careful when using the knotless knot as it is prone to working it's way out of the join in the hook's eye.

With most hooks, if you have the hook in your left hand, with the eye to the right, you'll need to start whipping the turn away from you.

Obviously the new hooks from Korum with the seamless eyes negate this problem.