The Rod Race

jdaniels

Reaction score
Me and my old man have decided to go on a rod race for good times :).

Our mission is to start in Hertfordshire and finish in Kent. We want to catch all species of fish.

The reason I say all of this is because we are going to try and do this in a week and wondered if anyone could point out any good fisheries for our challenge preferably a starting point in hertfordshire.

We are starting on October the 1st so some species may be difficult so any really easy barbel lakes would be much appreciated.

Thankyou
JDaniels

B

Berty

I can't help mate, but it sounds like a great thing to do with the old man.

jdaniels

Reaction score
Yeah :) will be loads of fun, just have to find the venues :/

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Good luck dan this is something i keep toying with, it would be a lot of fun with a mate. There are some tricky ones on the list. Think you may have to travel a bit further north for the char and salmon.

The mini species would be an interesting challenge and species like zander would be difficult for me due to where i live. Maybe one day i will get round to it. Fishing the rivers quite a bit at the moment and on one trip i spent more time trying to catch stone loach and bullheads my mate thought id lost the plot but i think they are great little fish often ignored and forgotten.

016-2.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

richiekelly

Reaction score
Good luck dan this is something i keep toying with, it would be a lot of fun with a mate. There are some tricky ones on the list. Think you may have to travel a bit further north for the char and salmon.

The mini species would be an interesting challenge and species like zander would be difficult for me due to where i live. Maybe one day i will get round to it. Fishing the rivers quite a bit at the moment and on one trip i spent more time trying to catch stone loach and bullheads my mate thought id lost the plot but i think they are great little fish often ignored and forgotten.

016-2.jpg

for some reason stone loach have started to be caught now and again in a local lake, i have fished here for 50 ears and have never known of any before, where they came from i dont know although there is a small stream that runs in.

thames steve

Reaction score
Good luck with the rod race and a great thing to do with your Dad, sounds great.

Couldn't help shaking my head when I read this though...this is what fishing has come to :eek:mg:

any really easy barbel lakes would be much appreciated.

And I'm not even close to being barbel police, or commercials police....I just think it's quite sad.

jdaniels

Reaction score
Thanks, gaywoods is my first venue and got two more already one called timberland fisheries and the other called cutton lakes on the A12.

la5arus

Reaction score
Re: My Charity Rod Race

I wish you luck and belive me its very hard but great fun and experience.
I have been doing the rod race and it is for a charity. the help for heros fund.
i call it The Great Charity Rod Race 2011. Me and 2 very good friends are doing it over a year 12 WEEKENDS because of work commitments. 48 days to catch 37 fish.
Its very hard but have been to some beautiful fishiereis and met some great guys . including Ian Heapes, Dave Benton and Mr Nigal Sharp.
our problem is this . we are after Stoneloach, Bullhead we have traveled all over the Uk and have 6 sponsors so we are not worried about distance.
if anyone can help please let me know.
our website is
Home - Steve 12 Morrell 13 John 20
we are from wooton Bassett and are 100% commited
Oh and if Anyone Knows Matt or Mick personally please give em a shout.
La5arus
steve jones