Rod Repairs

Tommo!

Reaction score
Hi, just after a bit of advice.
During a recent lure fishing session for chub on a local river I managed to break the tip ring SIC guide of my rod. The advice I am after is, where can I obtain a new rod ring for a 6' Shimano Scimitar
(1/8 - 1/2 oz) and secondly how much of a pain is it to carry out this repair.
I bought this rod from Canada and I believe the warranty has expired.
I f any one out there can help it would be much appreciated.

Paul T

Reaction score
Tommo this is an easy repair, gently heat up the old tip ring with a lighter to soften the glue then pull it off with pliers. Then go to a tackle shop with the old tip ring or top section and get another (they are only cheap). Re-fit the new one with hot melt glue. Some people use super glue! Make sure all the eyes are in line before the glue sets!......If in doubt get the tackle dealer to do it.

P

paul williams 2

Shouldn't cost more than a fiver......tenner if the shop does it?

Tommo!

Reaction score
Sounds easy enough I'll give i a shot this weekend. Is there any need for whipping it on or is it just more asthetically pleasing?

W

Wolfman Woody

You don't whip on end rings any more.

The whipping is there to look nice, but serves no real purpose as it goes up to the end ring, but not over it in any way.

Well, not on all British rods at least.

If you have trouble getting fixed up with a new ring try these people. You'll need to know what diameter of tube on the ring you need though.

They do these too!

Tommo!

Reaction score
Woody,
Thanks for the link. They were more than helpful and the matter is well in hand. More helpful than the manufacturer who don't seem to have access to any other rod specifications unless those on the uk market. Although in their defence the did offer to 'have a look' if I sent the rod to them. 6' rod via Royal Mail, I don't think so.