Day Ticket Fishing on River Wey

jxrice

Reaction score
Hello - I am desparately trying to find a definitive list of day ticket (or free) stretches of the River Wey in Surrey. I am not interested in the Navigation but the actual river for chub, barbel and other species. Can anyone help?

For instance at Triggs Lock in Sutton Green there is a footpath from the Navigation which crosses the adjacent field to the river. It looks perfect but no idea who if anyone controls it. Would i be trespassing if i fished it??

Cheers
Jason

bloodtype

Reaction score
Hi Jason,

Whilst I do not know the whole navigation, I have it on good authority that the stretch that runs through Farnham is free fishing. I've seen a lot of Chub there in the past.

If you speak to the chaps in Hampshire Tackle or The Creel (both in Aldershot) they should be able to give you some more info.

Although not day ticket, the Farnham Angling Society holds stretches of the River Wey and the season ticket is quite reasonably priced. It also gives you access to loads of good waters in Surrey.

Hope this helps, Ben

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Jason, the last section before the Thames which is both navigation and the river is ours now, the Thames Valley Angling Association. Soon, day tickets will be available in local shops or you could join one of the clubs that are affiliated to the TVAA, Weybridge AC is a member. Our remaining sections are navigation only.

Our bit ends at Send, Worsfold Lock, the bit you mention is further upstream, but I suggest you ask first and make sure as Woking A A and the Guildford societies have some large sections of the river.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
When I was last down there I fished the Wey upstream of the road bridge in Farnham and this was free fishing up throught the park and behind the housing estate. It was easy fishing for us hard Northerners :wh

Dave Martin at www.goflyfishinguk.co.uk will have some more info (tell him I sent you).

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have walked that bit in Farnham through the park and have seen some good fish, chub mainly especially just under the bridge where the water is deep. It does get shallower downstream. I remember asking in the town hall which I think was just down from the bridge and I believe they told me it was free but, I never got round to fishing it.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The section by this pub, The Anchor in Pyrford, came up as a free section when the local club dropped its lease..... Ripley - River Wey - Pyrford (The Anchor) - Wisley I've not fished it though.......
I can assure you that without one shadow of doubt that the Pyrford section is definitely NOT free fishing. It is included in our new lease, the plans are in front of me now.

We do have a problem there, though, in that there is no available parking except in the pub's car park and you are NOT allowed to park there and then go fishing, it is soley for use by patrons of the pub.

jxrice

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback (what a cool site...i never knew about it til this week). I think i may resign myself to joining a club as free / day ticket options seem incredibly limited :(

Woking AC seem to have the stretch between Old Woking and Ripley which catures the areas i was originally interested in.

J

rains

Reaction score
I find the whole notion of paying to fish certain parts of a river annoying it should be free to all and not owned or leased to anyone

brihooper

Reaction score
Bit late I know, but Godalming As do day tickets for 8 miles from Eashing to just short of Guildford. Off to fish it myself tomorrow in fact.

rubio

Reaction score
The free stretch in Farnham has(or at least had) some fantastic fishing. I've personally seen two 2lb roach come out,caught chub to 5 lb plus and lost barbel whilst dace fishing(they grow big too). You can see Carp all along the stretch and some of the brownies are huge. Oh yeah Grayling too.
If that ain't enough to go at Farnham AS have plenty more to offer.