Confused

jdaniels

Reaction score
Hello everyone I know this sounds very amateurish but I am new to the river fishing as I usually specimen fish. But my question is what is this baby fish ?? As I have caught hundreds and hundreds of them ?
Thankyou
Joe Daniels

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313672127.468612.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313672127.468612.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 47
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313672159.800552.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313672159.800552.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 49

jdaniels

Reaction score
Could be :) do you know any way of not catching them and bringing in the chub instead ?

Frank Elson

Reaction score
cheese chunks, luncheon meat chunks, large piece of bread flake (although the latter may attract the minnows as well to nibble the edges)
...and minnows can't get a size ten or eight hook in their gobs :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes Danny, my first double - a 10.4 from Marlow Weir in the mid 70's. I believe Fred J caught many barbel trotting minnows in the Thames as a youngster.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Thats a top catch. Ive read about barbel taking bullheads/minnows etc but had never heard of anyone actually getting a specimen on one. When the goings tough it could be worth ago for barbel that are otherwise being cagey and refusing more fashionable baits. I was watching a clip on you tube of a croatian angler targetting them with crankbait lures. Just shows you most fish are predatory given half the chance.

jdaniels

Reaction score
Good good now I know. There a pest. I'm currently fishing admirals park weir on the river chelmer, I'm usually a speci carp and predator fisherman but have recently decided to turn my hand to pleasure fishing.

barbelboi

Reaction score
We found minnow a good bait early season - good old large coffee jar with a small funnel in the shallows with some bread in - a non stop supply of minnows:)

jdaniels

Reaction score
Yeah of course, but if I go for big carp and cats I have to spend a lot more time and bait etc etc looking for one big fish. Where as this is easier to enjoy.

michaels

Reaction score
Every singe one of my best perch, have all been caught, on lip hooked minnow, beneath a drennan loafer, dogs whatsits.......

Reaction score
I just find the often used category of 'pleasure fishing' odd. All recreational fishing is done for pleasure.

It is often used instead of saying 'general coarse fishing'

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Where as this is easier to enjoy.

good for you too I say.

Those minnows are a right nuisance when trying for Roach, Dace or Chub on a river.

As a lot of the lads say; try them for the Chub . . . . .

To avoid them I would use Sweet Corn, Luncheon Meat or large lumps of Bread flake.

(Matt: behave LOL)

richiekelly

Reaction score
Yes Danny, my first double - a 10.4 from Marlow Weir in the mid 70's. I believe Fred J caught many barbel trotting minnows in the Thames as a youngster.

do you think that they are more likley to take them just after spawning when they need to quickly replace energy they have used up, its an idea i have had for ages but never had the gonads to try.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
That Mr Corker never misses a chance does he.......the chap has only posted eight times and already under fire for a simple statement!

jdaniels: Most big chub/perch fishermen would give anything to have a regular supply of minnows! Give them a good workout (as already suggested) working up a river with minumum tackle and eventually you should be successful. Don't give up though!

A very nice relaxed way of fishing-enjoy!