will this work?

ChrisMannering

Reaction score
Hi all

Just a quick hello to everyone,I am fairly new to fishing and this site not only got me started but has provided me with most of my info, thanks guys!

I have a korum neoteric 12" float rod and I was wondering if this wold also double as a feeder rod if I used the polaris sidewinder quiver? I know the sidewinder will work but do you reckon the rod would be strong enough to throw out a feeder? It's a brill float rod so I really don't want to damage it but am keen to try a bit more feeder fishing especially comming into the colder less friendly weather.

My inspiration for this was a days fishing at Barlow nr chesterfield with Kevin Miles, he really helped improve my fishing and put me on to the sidewinder method.

keora

Reaction score
Depends on the stiffness of the float rod. If it's quite a beefy rod designed for chub and small carp etc then you could probably use if for feeders.

Paul T

Reaction score
Hi Pakalolo I have used the sidewinder to, It is an excelent method in strong winds just point the rod at the bait and dump the rod tip under the water, giving superb bite registration. No quiver tips bouncing around in a gale driving you mad! The rod should be strong enough to cast light feeders a short distance without any problem. however if casting heavier feeders long distances and casting to the reels line clip you would be wise to invest in a proper feeder or avon type rod. Feeder rods have extra strength built into the lower section to allow continuous casting of loaded feeders, as this type of fishing can be demanding on a rod

keora

Reaction score
Paul T is right - use small feeders weighing less than half an ounce to start with and don't cast far.

ChrisMannering

Reaction score
Thanks for Paul T & Keith 2, it worked a treat. caught my second november tench with it today! used a half ounce feeder and sidewinder ended up with 7 perch a tench and a small bream in 3 hours, I was pretty pleased with that at this time of year.
Onwards and upwards!