Bass Plugging Rod

Moly

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to the site but not sea fishing.
I am looking to get into Bass plugging and am confused about choosing a rod.
I have seen advertised the Fladen Ed Schliffke Bass Plugger. Does anyone know this rod? Any advice on choosong a good fixed spool reel would be helpful.

M

MarkTheSpark

If it's anything to do with Ed, it will be good. Look at the Shimano Exage range, especially the travel rods. Very nice.

Regards fixed spools, get one with lots of ball bearings - and I like a double-handle, too. Ensure the clutch is smooth and adjustable. The spool should hold a nominal 250 yards/metres of 10lb - usually a size 35/40/45 in the reel maker's catalogues.

I use Fireline braid but any coated braid is worth its weight. Bulk fill the spool with 12lb mono before adding a 100 metre top layer of braid.

Saltwater has a disastrous effect on the crapalloy reels are made from these days, so give the reel a rinse after EVERY session.

Moly

Reaction score
MarkTheSpark.

I am now sorted.

I have bought the Ed Schliffke rod and a Mike Ladle Surespin. 2 Diawa Luguna 4000 reels. I did buy a Shimano Twinpower but decided to swap from the Shomano to another Diawa having seen them both. Gone for Dynon 3000 MCT at 24.3lbs and a pair of Ocean chest waders along with about 9 different lures.

All I need to do is catch some fish!

Ed and I used to compete against each other back in the late 70,s fishing for Smalleyed ray. We were both in the Plymouth Sea Anglers.

Little did I know that I would be buying a rod with his name on it!

Thanks for your reply

Tight lines!

Paul Molyneux

M

MarkTheSpark

I was on AT when your names were coming up in the results, and I remember you.

You'll love bas plugging; it's all about being in the right place at the right time, with a little bit of the right rods and tackle.

It's basically stalking, even when you don't see the beggars. Proper fishing skills, not working to instructions. Mind you, you've got a few weeks at best of this season left, and then a long wait.

Maybe there are some pike in the ressies....?

Moly

Reaction score
You must have a good memory we used to compete for the top 10 badges. I see in the Sea Angler that there is a another Paul Molyneux from Aintree. He is in the Penn Premier League. Most odd with such a rare name to have two people called Paul Molyneux.

I live in a village just outside of Plymouth. About 400yds from the sea.

I used to be very active with Small Eyed Ray back in the 70's and 80's.

I start as a complete novice with plugging and have only just received the gear and loaded the line on.

How long do you think it will be before the Bass disappear?

M

MarkTheSpark

There seems to be a tendency for the bass to stay later, but this may be waning this year as the Gulf Stream has failed.

I can only guess - in my native Weymouth, they'll be gone in a fortnight at best. That said, I bet a few turn up right through winter.

It'll start getting really interesting again in May, in Dorset. The bass turn up in the oddest places - three weeks ago I was fishing for them in a sluice between a freshwater lake and an open beach - the bass travelled at high tide right up a pipe in the freshwater outflow to where the valve is sited, then hammered the little prawns trapped in the outflow pool.

We didn't catch, but my mate had one of 6 1/2lb on ragworm the week before.

Sometimes really big fish will turn up in really busy places - next to where kids goes crabbing, for example. You just have to be observant and do some mooching around in spring with polaroids. It has to be dawn - ten times more fish to see than at ANY other time.

I've often thought that the perfect way to test the water would be with a bucket of sea livebaits and a pike float rig. Never done it, but live sandeels are the bizzo offshore, so I'd guess few bass could resist a little pout or sandsmelt from the shore.

One day.....

Moly

Reaction score
I catch bass regularly on live eel from my boat in the summer. I have had bass to 8lb 4ozs on live eel from the shore, walking distance from my house and we have had bass to double figures of North Cornwall beachs all on live eel so I agree with you on that one!

Like most types of fishing, I will not be confident about plugging until I catch a bass this way. I expect to spend many hours plugging before I get one.

1st light was always good for bass. It would appear that it is favourate for plugging.

I will let you know how I get on.