The Accidental Angler

C

Chris Bishop

BBC2, 8pm for the first of Charles Rangeley-Wilson's fishing travelogues.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
cheers chris i had forgot,couldnt forgive myself for missing it.ive slagged them off enough in the past for there lack of coverage.

C

Chris Bishop

Took the book fishing today. Got so immersed in it I had to reel my baits in.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Yes was good wasn't it Chris, looking forward to the next one now.

F

Fred Bonney

I enjoyed it too.But,it may have been better in 45 minutes, rather than the hour.
I'm not certain, it would have converted anybody.

C

Chris Bishop

I thought the bit at the end where he's cradling the fish before he let it go was magical.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I agree Chris, hopefully, it showed the love of fishing and what it means to us.

The fish was fully recovered and he really didn't want to say "goodbye" to it, but he did and the fish swam away to fight another day.

Yep, very good programme.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
What disapointed me was the poor fight the Mahseer put up. Either that, or it was poor camera work. It came in almost like a Bream!

The ones I hooked when I went went like a train, initial runs of 40 yards plus. Mind you, he did catch it in relatively calm water.

I'm looking forward to Brown Trout in Bhutan next week though!

F

Fred Bonney

Ric,probably poor editing.
For us fisherman, the fight rather than, spreading the rest out, for tourism, may have been more appropriate.
But, I don't think it was made for, the angler viewer.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ric, I think the camera work was a bit pants! During the capture I mean.

The rest was ace!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Any angling on the televison, with the exception of "hooked" and "Eh Brian, its a whopper"(anyone remember that?), is a cause for celebration so I do not want to nitpick, but it was a bit of a curates egg of a programme IMHO.

I enjoyed the end sequence and the footage from the Raj days but it could have done with a bit more editing.Definately worth watching though.I warmed to CRW as the programme went on.

I cannot help thinking that a very large PVA bag would do the trick though? The guide would probably have a heart attack.

P

pons

I thouroughly enjoyed it,and the presenter.

From talking to those that have been to the Cauvery,the nos have dramatically declined,and to catch for the cameras will always be hard,and the thought of lugging a pro standard Camera down the gorges after a fleeing Mahseer ,must be heart stopping.

Knowing what is involved with that side of things,I thought they at least made an entertaining prog out of it.

Yes, JW were Brilliant from memory,and the camera work was better.

They needed more catch footage,obviously,which would have given more camera angles,and yes it did appear to come in like a bream.
Possibly it was hooked up stream in fast water,and the camera guy could not keep up with the fish till it got to quiet water,would be my guess.

A good start to the series,and gave a nice flavour to the venue,which has often been featured in articles as well,as has that overhanging rock !

Pons.

Beecy

Reaction score
I wasnt that impressed, seen it all before, jungle hooks and John Wilson safari.

Didnt Wilson do one on the exact same stretch, with even the same guide Saban ?

Maybe I have just been spoilt with all the fishing we get to see on sky?