Piking in Devon

A

Andrew Webber

Hi guys I'm new to this site and its forums. It looks like you may be able to help me. I'm currently at university in plymouth, do you know of any waters I can hit with some lures? I normally fish pits in hampshire and I'm just dying to wet a line again. Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Andy

C

Chris Bishop

Only a few wateers have 'em in down there.

Grand Western Canal - shallow "cut" that runs from Tiverton up towards the Somerset border. Very weedy, even this time of year, lots of jacks in some bits of it but rarely does much over double figures.

Some of the remoter bits are little fished, esp round Sampford Peverell and above Halberton.

Good fun but little chance of a biggy.

Exeter Canal - A deep ship canal that runs from Starcross into the city centre. Deep and difficult but has a pedigree of big fish to low 30s. Best results I had were around the city centre or between Double Locks and the by-pass bridge. The very bottom end is little fished, I had a couple of big fish there years ago but I think it's had salt ingree problems since.

River Exe - they're in here too, though you rarely see anyone after 'em. The city centre bit, esp between footbridge and True's (?) Weir was pretty reliable, as was the pool further up by the Mill on the Exe.

Not sure the river's worth bothering with above Exeter.

Trenchford Reservoir - I haven't fished this but I've noticed it's started getting in the weeklies every now and then.

Slapton Lea was a legendary venue forty or foifty years back, I've fished it a few timesd and don't even think I ever caught anything on there. You could hire boats, I think from the hotel at Torcross.

e-mail me if you want more info - I've still got a load of old notebooks from back then somewhere at home.

A

Andrew Webber

Cheers for the info mate, I'll e-mail you shortly.

I was just planning on doing some lure fishing, that way I don't need to keep much tackle at university. After hearing there are 30s in the exeter canal maybe I should get the deadbait gear too!

S

Steve Moore

hi, andrew the river culm is also a good spot for lures, nothing big my biggest is 17lb but good fun hever the less. give me an e mail if you need more advice about lure type etc. i live in exeter so if you fancy joining me for a spot of luring or would like to come to one of our regular
LAS meetings we hold in exeter feel free.

stevemoore

Reaction score
Hi norbert.

There is no longer an active LAS or PAC chapter in Devon.

But as it happens we have started a new club to cover all aspects of angling.

Its intended to be a bit of fun, a chance to meet up for a pint and a chat once a month.

Our first meeting is tommorrow the 6th oct. Where Julian Chidgey will be giving a talk and a slideshow.

Please come along.

more details here.. http://westcountryallrounders.blogspot.com/

cheers

steve

norbert darby

Reaction score
hello steve.

didnt get your e mail till after the meeting. luckily i was there any way! read about it in the echo. a very impresive talk by julian. that guy is dedicated. i think i am going to have to save up for thailand... thanks for your message any way. were you the guy running things? i spoke to you at the end in that case. i was the chap who has just moved down from worcester, who forgot to pay after chatting to you! shall pay you twice next time.

see ya then

tight lines

norbert

stevemoore

Reaction score
Hi Norbert.

The tall guy with the grey hair who introduced it all, is pete gregory.

Im his sidekick, the short arse /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif i do all the newsletters, website etc.

we will have to meet up for a pike sess or two.

Steve

C

cojo

steve

how did the meeting go as much as i used to love the old pac meeting but they now clash with college for me as i said i my email

please keep me informed on future events

all the best

colin