I saw a rabbit swimming across the river douglas!

Kevin Fullerton

Reaction score
i'm sat there bankside on friday afternoon.
quivertipping bread for roach and chub.Whilst the darkness crept about me in the late afternoon i prepared a starlight for the evening session.Any way i poured a cuppa and sat back for a mid session smoke when, bloody hell! whats that a swimming my way? a bloody rabbit! i kid you not i nearly fell in, "a rabbit?" i hear you say.swimming on right towards me it was! ..............

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Have you been on the whacky baccy or perhaps you've eaten some of them funny mushrooms that Ron loves.

Swimming rabbit indeed, I've heard of dancing rabbits that do the bunny hop but swimming rabbits, nah!

What stroke were they doing anyway, or did you wake up before you had the chance to see it.

Kevin Fullerton

Reaction score
......Well i thought it was a rabbit until it turned away from me slightly, it was a coot! but the bald pate and face on the little feller made its head look like it had two bunny ears! and looked for all the world like it was doing bunny paddle(thanks nigel)right towards me. i nearly got a photo but that was when i nearly fell in! .....any body else ever had a double take while fishing?

Beecy

Reaction score
I was once driving along the Witham with my dad looking for signs of bream to fish for.

Dad was driving, I was scanning the river, when I saw a big breams back break the water "stop dad, im fishing this peg"

so i set up in the bream peg with my dad a couple further down. Id just got set up and chucked the feeder in when another big black back broke the surface "im going to bag up today" i thought.

I stared at the tip waiting for it to go round when I felt I was being watched, I looked out into the river and there in the middle looking straight back at me was a bloody great big seal ! - what a pillock I felt.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
".....any body else ever had a double take while fishing?"

Yes, but they usually depends on how much Armagnac is consumed from the hip flask ;-)

But seriously, I thought I saw Woody catch what at first looked like a fish . . . . . . . . . . . . . once :-0)

J

John McLaren

I thought you were being serious at first there Kevin and I was going to ask whether in the gathering gloom what you saw might have been a rabbit but a squirrel because they definitely do swim - I watched one cross a heavily swollen Severn some years ago!

Anyway it was a coot so I won't mention the squirrel!

D

Danny Lancaster

where on the duggy Kev?? I usually fish between gathurst and appley bridge. Ive heard one or two big barbel have come out below appley bridge as well? can you confirm...