Can anyone tell me?

dezza

Reaction score
What are "Popeyes"?

And how did the name: "Spod" come about?

One guy told me that "Spod" came from "Spodoosh!!", the sound made when they hit the water.

But I don't believe that.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I can remember being told a long time ago now that SPOD stood for TOOL but i don't know how true that is ?

No idea about Popeyes, other than the Cartoon one.

mol

Reaction score
Popeyes due to bulging eyes. There can be more than one reason, vitamin deficiency, genetics, dropsy, injury, bacteria and the list goes on.

S ending
P articals
O ut
D istance least thats what I was told

noknot

Reaction score
Popeyes due to bulging eyes. There can be more than one reason, vitamin deficiency, genetics, dropsy, injury, bacteria and the list goes on.

S ending
P articals
O ut
D istance least thats what I was told
Sounds good to me, however the "Popeyes" were indeed a reference to the potato days, leave em in and they will see the Carp comming!!!

uscarper

Reaction score
Ron, here in the states a popeye is a small feather jig usually 1/32 to 1/64 of a ounce weight. they are used for crappies and sometimes trout. as for the spods name i haven't a clue, never even seen one until i went to europe 2 yrs ago.

dezza

Reaction score
Actuall it was Eric Hodson who told me what "Popeyes" were. I was just fishing around to see if there were any alternatives.

A "Popeye" is a form of swinger that attaches under the bite alarm using a longish arm. Imagine this arm as pipe stem. Then at the other end of this arm is a bit looking like an old American corn cob pipe, just like "Popeye the Sailorman" grips in his mouth. This bit has a line clip on it.

Get my drift?

Still no wiser on the Spod.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Was it Jim Gibbonson who is credited with 'inventing' the spod. An old silicone tube originally know as the doppleganger?:confused: Don't know where the spod name originated.