Small river / brook rod

Mark Hunt

Reaction score
Hi lads

Last week I posted a query about angled alarms for river fishing and you sorted me out in great style, so I have another question.
I live in Leicestershire and we have a number of small rivers, tributaries to the upper Welland which contain some nice Perch, Chub, Dace and Roach, but I really struggle to fish them because my float rods are all 13ft + and some stretches are not conducive to feeder fishing, with lots of overhanging branches, trees, overgrown banks, etc. I'm looking for a short rod 7ft max I think, that will allow me to fish some of these rivers, but still have great action and be light.
Can't find anything on the usual websites, do any of you guys have any suggestions ?

regards

Mark

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark, the onlything I can think of (off the top of my head) is to get a weight 3/4 fly rod and do some DIY on it.
Alter the handle, re-ring it and give it a try. The action should be okay, and not too much 'lost' if it doesn't work.

Tommo!

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I fish the Wreake and Eye around the Melton area.
I personally use a Drennan DRX 11'10 river feeder for legering and a 13' Shimano match rod for trotting. Although these are longer than you were looking for I find these are a good length for muscling chub away from snags, especially those under your feet when using lighter lines.
I do however use a 6' spinning rod for lure fishing on the said rivers but I think the fact that I am using 20lb braid and 15lb (minimum) wire trace over powers the chub and perch I am fishing for.

Tommo!

Reaction score
Mark, just had an after thought how about a light jigging rod. I've seen them in the US and Canada and I know that Fox and Greys do similar models in the 7' range. I had a look at one of the above in a local tackle shop. It was well made but I think the action may be too stiff for roach.

Y

yoggy

Mark,Try the Fox Ultralight one piece 6ft.6in spinning rod.Its ideal for the locations you mention.The action is also light enough for you fish for Roach etc.I`ve used this rod to good effect on tributries of the Nene and Ouse, fishing for both Chub and Roach.

E

Evan

Tommo and Yoggy both beat me to it.... a six and a half or seven foot spinning rod of decent quality is a great small stalking rod.

And if it is not only inaccessible but deep then a spinning rod generally has nice big rod rings to facilitate the use of a stop knot and sliding float rig....

Otherwise for heavier stuff Fox make some amazing looking Aquos Twig type short stalkers.

Y

yoggy

Mark,sorry mate the rod i mentioned is a two piece and not a one piece.I was getting it mixed up with another spinning rod i have!!

Mark Hunt

Reaction score
Hi Lads

Thanks for all your suggestions, keep 'em coming...

regards

Mark

G

Geoff Cowen

Mark, I have the Grey 9' Stalker rod and it's very versatile, I have used it for Carp stalking, Pike spinning, feeder fishing and even float fishing. If you go for the 7' to 9' one they make I'm sure it would do everything you want.

sweetcorn kid

Reaction score
geoff you got two choices tri cast made a vinney smith canal float rod at 11ft still got some at brigde tackle long eaton nott,s also try a light spinning rod at 7ft

D

david bruce 1

I got a smashing 4'6'' - 5 foot american baitcaster from Harris Angling a few years ago. I use it for all kinds. It casts an eighth of an ounce mini spinner/plug beautifully and a float or swan shot ledger equally well. Cost about ? 15. They seem to come into UK in batches. It even came with a litle baitcaster reel which i did use for a while but use a tiny shakespeare multiplier now. Have fun.