Reels for Double Taper Fly Lines

Jon Strutt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Me again. I was so sure I'd got it all sorted!

Here's the question. It was only as I spooled up my 3/4 large arbour reel (a Pflueger Trion) with DT 4 line that I realised DT line is thicker than WF line and that with only a minute length of backing the line was jamming on the reel. This was too much of a problem when it was in use, so to speak, and the leader was well clear of the tip ring but obviously the line was rubbing on the reel at times and probably damaging the line.
The rod that this reel/line combo is teamed with is an 8ft 6 4/5 rated rod.
Now, I have come up with two potential solutions - 1. use a mid arbor reel, although I haven't seen many around (Orvis Battenkill is one) ; or 2. Spool up on a 5 or 5/6 rated reel, the lighter the better (Lamson make very light reels I know).

Any pros and cons of these two thought patterns will be much appreciated, as will any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks all,

Jon

alex laurie

Reaction score
Jon,

Personally I use the Lamson LS2 with a DT4. In Fact I use them for all my trout fishing up to a #6 line. They are expensive though, and if you are fishing rivers in this country, maybe the LS2 is a bit of overkill with a DT4. i'm very weight conscious (although you wouldn't think it to look at me)and that's why I use the LS2.

Other options could be:

Just buy a Dragonfly or similar standard arbour but buy a decent sized one and pack it with backing to give the effect of a mid arbour. Something like the Shimano Ultegra would be a good choice.

If you are getting something like 15 metres of standard backing on your Trion, why not try using braid like fireline in about 12lb B.S.? You will get a lot more fine braid on than you will mono or standard backing material.

E

Evan

I'd complain to Pfleuger. The price they charge if the reel is rated to X and it doesn't take X + a reasonably anticipated amount of backing, of whatever taper, then I would suggest that they are taking the pee at their prices...

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I would consider cutting the line in half so you can fit more backing on the reel. Assuming that is, that you don't regularly cast more than 11 or so yards...

M

MarkTheSpark

Sounds to me like Pfleuger have got it wrong, not you. OK, you don't need much backing on a river reel but you should be able to get, say 30 yards on.

But don't for heavens sake give up on large arbour. Believe me, both you and your fly line will be glad you used large arbour - so much less damaging to lines, and prevent the worst effects of line memory.

Look at the Okuma range - the magnesium Magnitude one is ulta-light, but I use the Airframes and Integritys and they're good, too.

Reaction score
Hi Jon, probably too late to be any help, but most manufacturers state capacity with "WF4..WF6, as they are the most popular lines these days due to reservoir and small lake fishing being the most available. Can you try 50yds of micron backing and your double taper? It is very thin and could solve the problem. The tackle shop may load it for you while you wait with luck. The fly line will get damaged and ruined if it rubs and catches against the reel as it is loaded now. Hope this helps.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

These days if I use a double taper which is very rare, I cut the thing in half. They are most useful for short accurate casts on rivers where you certainly don't need the whole line on your reel. You can then store the other half of your line and get two lines for the price of one.