trouble not sleeping

jamie_moe

Reaction score
was thinking of going for a 24hr session next week but i have been having trouble with staying awake so i am just asking if anyone has any tips for staying awake when bites are a little scarce?

rains

Reaction score
was thinking of going for a 24hr session next week but i have been having trouble with staying awake so i am just asking if anyone has any tips for staying awake when bites are a little scarce?
Coffee energy drinkings

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score

Jamie

Fish near enough to your rod that you can reach it, have the clutch set so that it will only just give line on a run.

If you are not confident in your abilities, wind in when you feel tired and get some sleep.

Don't fish near snags, if you do intend to fall asleep ?

Bob

dannytaylor

Reaction score
when night fishing for carp with "self hooking rigs" its possible to get some kip. As bob says fish near to your rods sett your baitrunners/clutch appropriatly and try not to fish too snags and you should be ok snatching a few hours kip.

I do sympathise though, did a fair bit of eel fishing this summer and un-like carp i like to stay alert and fish sat next to the rods. Eels can have a tendancy for swallowing a bait quick so its best to be vigilant. To be honest i really struggled staying awake and the next day i would often be shattered.

noknot

Reaction score
A no brainer really, a set of these perhaps???

tlcom-mp-vwd-1.jpg

BarryC

Reaction score
I raised a similar question once.
I struggled getting any sleep while my rods fished by themselves.
Someone told me to wind in and get some sleep.
Best advice I was given.
I wind in and get my head down around 1am and up again just before first light raring to go.
If i do longer sessions I grab a few hours during the day as well.

noknot

Reaction score
I raised a similar question once.
I struggled getting any sleep while my rods fished by themselves.
Someone told me to wind in and get some sleep.
Best advice I was given.
I wind in and get my head down around 1am and up again just before first light raring to go.
If i do longer sessions I grab a few hours during the day as well.
1am till dawn can be a very productive time in my experience as a Carp angler..............

BarryC

Reaction score
In my experience as a non carp angler the hours around dawn and dusk are very productive.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Not only productive but frequently the most beautiful time of the day. No other time gives the atmosphere or anticipation of dawn.

Wish i wasnt asleep on my Indulgence bedchair most times :wh:wh:rolleyes:

Fishing is not an endurance sport. Get some alarms & take the pressure off yourself. Nothing wrong with a bit of sleep. The slightest beep of an alarm & most true carp anglers (ie the ones that didnt get hammered night before) will be clambering for there shoes.

cozzaa

Reaction score
Lol hi all.

I know both ends of this scale, ive had 24-48hr sessions where i can barely sleep in anticipation and excitement that something will happen as ive had a "good feeling" when setting up.

That said, i did a session with my brother, 25hr, set up late after a long days work on a friday. We had a quiet dusk....our first bleeps come at 1am, i was wide awake (having an asthma attack). was going to brothers bivvy to grab inhalor and alarm went screaming.....3hrs later, was back in the bedchair fast asleep, alarm went off, i was so tired i totally missed it. Day after, 3 anglers told me it was running for nearly 4 minutes.

That said, alarms are the nicest way to get some kip. I have no issues in grabbing hours during day or night. good advice before, tighter clutch, close to rods etc.

sorry for the long story :)

Matt

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Absolutely pointless to become so tired that when you do fall asleep you fall into a deep sleep and cannot be woken by the alarms sounding!!

If you're going to go out all night (and sleeping in a bivvie) you have to have the right gear including sounder boxes that are in the bivvie with you. Its quite wrong IMHO to allow fish to run for yards and yards with you fast asleep 10' from the rods!!

As others have said, you might just as well wind in the rods if you cannot stay awake.....in which case what is the point of going all night anyway?

Personally I always tried to fish nights in decent weather without a tent (in my day) and used an old fashion deckchair (next to the rods) for dozing off which worked well for me...

For the life of me I cannot see the point of having a bed to lay down on (just to grab a bit of sleep for an hour or two) when perfectly adequate padded chairs are available but thats me I suppose.....
Part of night fishing IMHO is making do with the minimum of gear and NOT setting up home on the bank.Comfortable,yes but not OTT! Beds my eye-what a load of wimps!!

Then again, for more than 24 hours I suppose you need a bit more gear........insert smilie thing here!!

Last edited:

cozzaa

Reaction score
i totally agree with that first line Tee Cee. Point was, i have been out of it for a while and first time back, wasnt expecting to get into that state of sleep, never really happened before.

I wouldnt pay for 24hrs of fishiing if i new i was in no state to competantly fish for that period. Was trying to point out i can relate to the OP situation.

Getting my fox receiver very soon so won't be worrying over such incidents again in the future :)

with regards to the tackle requirements, i have an opposing view to yours, i like to be comfortable when doing a hobby/passtime although i suppose this is a subject that many ppl will many views on

cozzaa

Reaction score
woop woop receiver ordered today, only £120!

i tend to find no feeding time on most commercial lakes is daylight hours :) one complex in particular i;ve visited a few times is amazing 10pm ish through to 7.30ish. between midday and about 4 you may as well go home, havfe a shower an come back lol.