The Perfect Fishing TV Programme

Blunderer

Reaction score
OK, so we all agree that Passion for Angling is the benchmark fishing television programme. And msot of us were a little disappointed with The Accidental Angler.

So my question is this: if you had a big budget and were commissioned to make a fishing show of 1 hour, what would it be?

Mine would be this:

A beautiful lake with a tiny colony of giant carp.

High quality underwater cameras set up all over the lake.

2 funny, dedicated, articulate anglers who have set about targetting a giant.

A documentary which mixes David Attenburgh-style footage of the carp and Passion for Angling-style contributions from the anglers. So the show is 50% about the fish behaviour and 50% about the anglers. Imagine what great TV it would make if the program has shown them blanking for weeks, then you can see a 40 lb fish feeding over their baits.

Naturally the show would have to end with a whacker!

What would you do if you were given ?5m to design a program?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

A fishing production of 1 hour?
I would have a programme about one angler not actually speaking to us a slike a tutorial, just his quite thoughts as he is fishing a river or stillwater.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Baz,

Take a look at Chris Yates' video;

"Fishing for the Secret Carp"

I might get around to doing a review on it and one other in the near future.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
It would be myself and local experts around europe.places were you can get cheap flights,so anyone could aspire to going having a go.then it would be them showing us there way of fishing,against how an english ameteur like me tackles it.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Five Million quid to make an angling programme? I'd give Hugh Miles ?500,000 to make a one off about the true joy of angling as seen through the eyes of a child.
I'd then set up a ?4 million fighting fund to defend angling from attack and place our own adverts in National papers.
And what about the last half million? Well, my angling club rent their waters from a tenant farmer, so I'd buy the waters for them so we would feel threatened every year about losing them. And if there is anything left I'll buy a new pole for myself and an expensive barbel rod for Deanos to stop the bugger moaning!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

That sounds just about perfect Peter. I love that blokes (C.Yates) approach to fishing.

W

Wolfman Woody

"What would you do if you were given ?5m to design a program?"

Like all producers do these days, "I'm a wannabe angler, set me up there." then make another fortune by getting twits to vote them off.

On a serious side, I'd make a series of programmes about the progress and thinking behind running a club. Implant a camera in the head bailiff's temple, Baz would like that.

Then again his wife might find out about the floozy at number 23.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Seriously Woody.
Your'e in the filming game now and again.
What would the approx cost be of making a 1 hour documentory fishing video with the likes of C.Yates? Any idea? How long would it actually take to make the film on average?

M

MarkTheSpark

I have tried without success so far to persuade Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall to persuade BBC/ITV/C4 to re-do The Fishing Race.

We all know the format, used to great effect by FM this year. It would be absolutely brilliant, with FM, maybe AT, perhaps other forums etc fielding the anglers.

I'll never forget how much I enjoyed The Fishing Race on TV. It had everything.

NIGE K

Reaction score
i would start with a total beginer to angling and do a series of programs were he meets normal decent good everyday anglers(not bait and tackle sponsered nobs) who could pass on there knowledge and experience to him and the viewers.starting at the tackle shop and running through all the different styles of fishing,rigs ,baits types of fish then give him a chance to put what he and the viewers are learning to the test and show the results.i would call it learn to fish with nige k.im sure i could find on this site all of the normal(and not so normal) decent good everyday anglers needed to fill many shows.i would watch it

Blunderer

Reaction score
What about "The Return of Mr Crabtree", where each program focusses on one species and comprises a wise old gent (Chris Yates would be ideal although possibly not a versatile enough angler) and an enthusiastic young boy?

W

Wolfman Woody

Not a clue Baz, sorry. I don't suppose you'd do it for less than say ?50,000 - and that is cheap TV!

M

Mark Hodson

The format suggested of "through the eyes of a child" is one of the best suggestions i've heard for a fishing programme in a long time. If you get a Chris Yates type figure to be the "mentor", and use both a boy and girl and really enhance the magic, wonder and expection of anglings interaction with the enviroment, then it would be a real winner on all fronts. Plus famous occasional guests like Hugh Fearnly - Whittingsall, Chris Tarrant, etc would give a greater draw yet.
Great advertisement for angling, untouchable by our critics and would only serve to generate more interest amongst parents, children and those members of society who rubbish what we do without knowing anything about it. Oh and Hugh Miles would have to make it of course.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Plus famous occasional guests like Hugh Fearnly - Whittingsall, Chris Tarrant, etc would give a greater draw yet."

Bang goes the ?50,000 straight away. More like ?1,500,000 now and no guessing who would take most of that!

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
I'm a TV producer. If you want more angling shows, then you need to support The Accidental Angler. Yeah, I know it wasn't great for us anglers who may have seen the "exotic trip to India to catch a mahseer" show done before, but many of the public will not have. I didn't look at how it rated, (how many people watched it) but I can guarantee you one thing, if it does well then there will be more shows like it. So, watch it and then write to the BBC (online is really simple) saying how much you enjoyed it. Then you might get more angling shows which you enjoy more. And our sport will get the PR boost it deserves.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Well said Jim. Spot on.

We get the coverage we deserve in the long run.

B

Bully

Jim, its easy.

Lovely secluded lake/river stretch. Well known angler with an unknown angler (ie me) and loads of cracking totty.

I'd watch it........

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The best advice yet for angling Jim. Excellent.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
One of the most evocative episodes in "Passion for Angling" was the one where Chris Yates helped the young lad ( I know the stick and bent pin bit was a bit corny)catch a barbel from the Avon. That's why I think the idea of pairing an adult (maybe a Father and son/daughter) with a child so that the angling experience is seen through their eyes would work on so many fronts. Not the least as he or she learns about the natural world around him too.
Perhaps Jim Pullin could put the idea to someone like Hugh Miles?