The Fishing Tackle Industry.......

dezza

Reaction score
Is not what you think it is.

A few words on what happens in the manufacture, marketing and sale of fishing tackle might help a few of you understand why it is one of the most difficult businesses to be involved with.

First of all, most of the anglers in this country are extremely lucky that this huge industry actually bothers with us. Take rods as an example.

The most popular type of fishing rod in the world is a 6 foot spinning rod, the sort of rod that is used to catch American bass on lures. The market for this type of rod is probably in the vicinity of 20 million units a year, the USA providing the main requirement. Compared with that, how many 13 foot float fishing rods, one of the most popular type, are purchased every year. My local tackle shop sold only 24 rods of this type during the whole of 2010! Do some basic maths and you will see that to the big manufacturers, our requirements are a pain in the neck!

Did you know that a bog standard 9 foot 6 weight fly rod is also one of the most popular rods in the world?

It's the same with reels. A fairly cheap fixed spool (spinning) reel capable of holding 200 yards of 10 lb line is the most popular. UK coarse anglers can press such reels easily into service for match and feeder fishing. They even call such reels: "feeder reels", but this is not the first reason why a particular reel is made.

It's the same with "bait runner" (a term patented by Shimano) reels. For example, many UK carp anglers might think that the free spool system was designed by carp anglers. Was it heck! This concept was designed for salt water beach casting in the USA.

As regards Far East manufacturing. A lot of anglers think that the Chinese or other Far East manufacturers of fishing tackle only make cheap and nasty stuff. The truth is that the Chinese for example can make anything you want, from real cheap and nasty to the sort of quality that will satisfy the top brand names in the world, and I don't have to mention them here, we all know them.

There are a few items of tackle that are not made in the Far East, although I could be wrong in this assertion. Fly lines are one, and I do believe that other than Japan, monofilament lines can also be included.

During my working life I did a survey of who made what in the field of extruded plastic products, filtration of molten polymers being an important part of the process. I found out that there were but a handfull of monofilament extruders in the whole world, and fishing line suppliers were right at the bottom of their important customer list, the manufacture of tooth brushes being at the top. It is true that in the majority of cases, many different lines come out of the same factory and from the same machine.

I have kept away from braided lines at this stage of the game as this could open up a can of worms that might make your eyes sore.

It's all worth thinking about though, isn't it?

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
Ron, I thought it was an Australian who thought up the idea for the Baitrunner type reel.

jollyboy

Reaction score
Here in Yorkshire, the price of a pint of maggots has virtually been the same as a pint of beer.

At the moment: £2.60

£1.50 per pint if you know where to look....mind you I-M-O you gets what you pay for

---------- Post added at 10:06 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

The truth is that the Chinese for example can make anything you want, from real cheap and nasty to the sort of quality that will satisfy the top brand names in the world,
You are correct...we buy a lot from China in our line of work...the main problem is consistency

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
£3 a pint where I work. Always fresh though. And they've been properly trained to die like heroes and wriggle right up to the end.

" Why us Sarge, Why us?"

" 'Cos we're here lad, cos we're here"

name the film, anyone?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
£3 a pint where I work. Always fresh though. And they've been properly trained to die like heroes and wriggle right up to the end.

" Why us Sarge, Why us?"

" 'Cos we're here lad, cos we're here"

name the film, anyone?

Zulu, the answer was given by Colour Sergent Bourne, who in real life was only 24 years of age and not a middle aged bloke as depicted in the film.

Now, not a lot of people know that . . . . . .

dezza

Reaction score
The movie "Zulu" was made in the shadow of the Drakensberg in a spot I know well, about 150 miles away from the real Rorke's Drift.

Now I wonder how many people know that.

And I have been there!

I'll bet PJ ain't.

:)

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

There were a number of inaccuracies in the making of the movie in addition to the age of Colour Sargeant Bourne and the location. It was insinuated that Chief Cetshwayo led the Zulus into the attack on Rorke's drift. It wasn't, it was Ndublamanzi (which means Cleaver of the Waters) who led the attack.

In earlier scenes where you saw the Zulu maidens doing the Snake Dance. Chief Mangasuthu Gatsha Buthelezi played Cetshwayo. Buthelezi became leader of the Inkatha Freedom Party in later times.

The dance of the maidens was banned by the apartheid regime, when Zulu was released on the SA circuit, due to the nudity of the Zulu maidens.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I was disappointed with Rorkes Drift but then again I dont really know what I expected to see...........

Still a great film though regardless of its inaccuracies (I watched it again the other day) and I don't tire of it even though I know it word for word...

What the hell has this to do with the fishing tackle industry-search me!!

ps I'm still trying to work out Ron's original post...................................Could you do one on 'The meaning of Life' please!

pps Is this about Ron trying for first to 20,000 posts before he pops his clogs (I ask myself).....

ppps I was thinking only last week about that other old movie with Stanley Baker (and Patrick McGowan) driving trucks loads of stuff-so many in a day.....Prhaps i should get out more as well....

Last edited:

noknot

Reaction score
"What the hell has this to do with the fishing tackle industry-search me!!"

Well it seems as though he wants to bore everyone to death, and I must say he is doing a sterling job...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

xenon

Reaction score
ppps I was thinking only last week about that other old movie with Stanley Baker (and Patrick McGowan) driving trucks loads of stuff-so many in a day.....Prhaps i should get out more as well....[/QUOTE]

Helldrivers-great film, seriously under-rated. Am convinced the haulage firm round the corner from me regard it as a instructional training video.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
why did some one have to bring Zulu up?

now we have to hear how great Sa and Auss are and how they invented evrything **** Walker didn't

Oh god I've mention DW - now we're in for it:eek:mg:

cg74

Reaction score
"What the hell has this to do with the fishing tackle industry-search me!!"

Well it seems as though he wants to bore everyone to death, and I must say he is doing a sterling job...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Is that silver sterling or pound sterling...................... Oh ******, I've gone off topic......................

What is the topic for debate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, erm, whatever, the answer is no!

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Zulu, the answer was given by Colour Sergent Bourne, who in real life was only 24 years of age and not a middle aged bloke as depicted in the film.

Now, not a lot of people know that . . . . . .

Ah, now, something to debate:

If Colour Sergeant Bourne was 24 years old in 1879 and the life expectancy in 1900 was about 49 yrs, would that not make him "middle aged"?

So would it not be reasonable for the actor depicting that officer to be middle aged; if yes, life expectancy in the 60's was up to around 70 yrs, so a 35 yr old would really have been ideal, or not???

Hmm, now we've a debate??!