Night fishing for bream

nicky

Reaction score
I need some advice guys, i'm doing my first ever proper night session with my son on saturday but rather than specifically targeting the carp (but i wouldn't mind if one came along) i'm going to target the specimen bream.

I have some ideas of what rigs to use but any advice would be welcome.

The water in questions is fairly large and is teeming with bream and silver fish and when fishing in the day which i have done before it doesn't matter how much ground bait and particles you throw at it everything seems to get mopped up really quickly, you can catch roach and rudd all day and if the bream move in a bag of 20 or 30 slabs is not unusual which i have had up to 6lb but i have heard that they have been caught up to 13lb.

I have plenty of bait i.e. vitalin, micro pellets, worms corn and boilies which i know the fish love on this venue but im unsure of how much to use, i dont see much point in using small pva bags as this would be gone in minutes, so i was thinking of spending a couple of hours in the evening just baiting up to get a good bed of bait down possibly using the vitalin straight out of the bag (i usually grind it up first) but was thinking if i left it as large particles it may stop the small fish from eating it too quickly.

what do others think?

thames steve

Reaction score
i'm going to target the specimen bream.

Before Saturday are you able to find out, or observe, if the specimens swim with the 5 and 6 lbers? What are the patrol areas for the big ones? What are the bigger/ wiser specimens caught on and what, if any, baits are they spooked by? What times of day do the big ones normally get caught?

Can you find out by Saturday the bed of the water you're fishing? Drop-offs, bars and gullies - can you make an educated guess from that where the best chance of the bigger fish will be?

If you're fishing for say, 5 fish in the whole water of the size you want and they fish aside from the hundreds of smaller fish, it could dictate how, where and when you feed.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Hello Nicky,
I would have probably spent a good few days baiting up if i knew there was such a big head of Bream in the water.
Do you have a Spod ?
If so i would spend a good few hours spodding before casting a bait in just to lay down a really good bed of bait.
You could also try a method feeder or a Large Cage feeder just to keep introducing little bits of bait when you cast in.

Good Luck with the fishing.

nicky

Reaction score
To be honest i wont be able to get down there before saturday as it is about 10 miles away and just wont have the time.
The water is chocolate color so you cant see anything, i believe the bigger fish are caught at night by the carpers on boilies.

I dont have a spod so was planning on baiting up with a large feeder and fishing one rod using a two ounce lead but loading it with a big ball of ground bait to act like a method feeder (you can do this with vitalin in the mix) and use a hair rigged boilie, and another rod with a method feeder and hair rigged maize and see which one is the best.
I am going to use 12lb daiwa sensor, (in case of carp) bite alarms and swingers for the night time but will fish a quiver tip as well during day time hours.

I was going to use say 8" soft braid hook links as i have found slighty longer hooklinks better for bream?

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you don't have a spod, get one.

If you are laying down bait with the cage, recast every two minutes and keep doing this antil you have built a bed.

You don't need 12lb Sensor, it's like rope, 6lb or 8lb will be fine.

The Pirate.

nicky

Reaction score
i was thinking of respooling with 8lb mono as i have some spare but the water in question insists on 15lb line when night fishing so im already on the low side.

I'll see if my local shop has a mini spod today, mind you some of the cage feeders i have are home made beasts i made for fishing the wye so are much larger than the average feeder.

The bad one

Reaction score
Do a search of the archives for info... lots written on this subject by the famous and not so famous :D

nicky

Reaction score
i believe there are plenty of carp in the upper teens to low twenties, but although i have never targeted them im surprised i have never hooked into 1 using corn on the feeder.
i have landed quite a few carp up to 20lb in open water with an avon rod and 8lb line with little trouble but i suppose its a different matter at night when you cant see whats happening.

richiekelly

Reaction score
there is a reason that the people that run the water insist on heavy line and that is fish safety, fish to land what you hook not to get bites.

nicky

Reaction score
yes i think you're right ill leave the lighter fishing to day time hours