What a blanker!

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Last season I joined Nottingham Anglers Association who have some excellent stretches on the Middle Trent, but the main reason was to fish a water called Thurlby lake south of Lincoln. Now I was thinking, a big gravel pit like this, hardly ever fished, must contain some big tench, roach and bream.
So far I've never had a bite, not a twitch, not a sausage. Fished the float in the margins, feeder at distance, used maggots, bread, corn, boiles, meat etc. Nothing! Not even seen a fish top on the surface or in the margins except for pike, which I've seen during their spawning rituals, and I know people have caught some big pike out of there. Even the NAA book says that there are only pike in the lake. Is this possible? Pike without silverfish to prey on!!!!

Fished it again the other day. Guess what. BLANKED again!

Could it be that there are other fish in the lake and it's just that I'm a right blanker!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Steve pike will eat smaller pike,but fishing a water for species,that the permit says theres none in is always going to be a bit tough,i liken it to fishing the ribble for tuna very tough job.I also am a complete blanker most of the time.

Steve Handley

Reaction score
This is what it says on the Nottingham Anglers Association website:
"Thurlby Gravel Pit, Nr Swinderby, Lincolnshire...

This Gravel Pit is very popular with Pike Anglers. Although there is a good possibility that other species of coarse fish are present the Sheer size of the water makes them difficult to find. The Pike are Reported to reach 20lbs and fall to various methods"

So, according to the above, there maybe other species in the lake, but nobody fishes for them.
It may come down to doing a bit of pioneering work or maybe I should stick to fishing for the pike!

Paul T

Reaction score
Steve I fish Hornsea mere sometimes for pike (spinning) and have caught some realy good ones. But I have never seen any silver fish ever, even after rowing across it! But the pike must be living on something, makes you think does it not?..... According to the baliff and a friend there are loads of fish in there they are just hard to locate. Sounds a lot like your water. Try going early morning and late evening with binoculars to try and locate signs of fish, lay a trap by pre-baiting for a few days. This is time well spent, remember on a big water location is every thing!

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Cheers Paul, I know what you mean, it does make you think. I can understand the larger pike eating their smaller brethren, but what are the smaller pike eating? Is it possible for a healthy population to survive and grow quite large when they are the only species. I doubt it! No other predatory species in nature could do this and survive.

The NAA have only had this water for the last couple of years so I suspect there are other species in there. I think a case of using a bit of 'watercraft' to locate them will be needed and a little bit of perseverance.

Paul T

Reaction score
Do not give up hope steve, If it makes you feel better I have blanked on the last four sessions looking for chub that may not even exist on my local river! It took a friend of mine nearly two years to catch barbel, he cracked it in the end and has had a great year, thats dedication! In my opinion it is far to easy to go to a heavily stocked commercial fishery, catch fish and think "yes I am a good angler".... Of course it takes skill at these places, some venues are good. But I must say I have the utmost respect for river anglers, and people like yourself attempting to crack a difficult water. Good effort and good luck!

W

Wolfman Woody

Is it the pit alongside Norton Roadm the one with two small islands?

If so, I'd fish to the islands with a feeder. Small redworms tipped with caster, killer bait for bream. If you can put another rod out try sweatcorn on it.

Looks tasty though for the pike, I'd love to spin it.

PS - there's only one Woody Blanker on here!

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Thats the one Woody.

The areas around these islands are full of gravel bars and features and look ideal fish holding areas. As with most gravel pits the waters so clear that if you look on an aerial map you can see the gravel bars scattered throughout the lake, so it looks fishy enough.

Unfortunately though, the NAA permit only covers a stretch on the far side of the lake. Doh!

I must say though, I enjoy the challange of these new waters, a bit like fishing into the unknown. The rewards are more satisfying when you eventually do succeed.

ps. It's good to know I'm not the only blanker on this forum!

T

The Monk

blanking, I fished an whole winter for carp once and didnt get a single run, this was from december through to march, the only time I left the bank was for a few days over the Christmas period and to do the bivvy shopping every 2 week