rod rings

N

Nicky Garbutt

how do i stop ice forming on my rod rings any idears.

thanks

P

Paul Kendall

Go fishing in the summer !

I've heard that something like gelatin liquid on the rings will stop them freezing or you could try car de-icer in the can with the directional nozzle

Just a thought

R

Rob Brownfield

Nicky..how can u be getting freezing rod rings??..Its not been cold enough yet..lol

U wait until u get braid freezing on the spool of your reel!!! U end up with a block of ice that stays that way!

R

Ron Clay

Carry a small bottle of anti-freeze around and wipe them in it.

C

Cheese Paste

If the ice isn't too bad you can dip the end of your rod in the water when retrieving your rig.

S

Steve Burke

Anyone else heard the rumour that Nashy's about to bring out electrically heated rod rings......?;)

J

John Pleasance

If this happens to me when trotting its normally at the pointy end of the rod,just dip it in the river for a while until it thaws.Shake off the excesss water.

You'll have to do it reasonably regularly.

I have heard of using glycerine but never tried it.

I would be wary of antifreeze until I knew what effect it may have on the line.

F

Fisher King

Glycerine is the thing Ive used since a kid.

The rod tip in the water doesn't last long depending on how cold the air is because if you think about it it is not the water that is cold but the surrounding air which does the freezing.

Wouldn't fancy the anti-freeze bit as if it is spilt onto the paintwork of a car it doesn't do that any favours.

John.

P

Paul Kendall

Glycerine - thats the one ! - i said liquid gelatin in an earlier response ..... DOH !!!

D

Dave Johnson

Glycerine-works fine for me-available from the Chemist

J

John Pleasance

O.K. so we have established that glycerine works ,but how does it work ? Does it just stop water from staying on the rings ? If so would a silicone spray do the job just as well? Does it need applying just once before a session or do I need to take it with me? My last couple of trips have seen me in need of something.

J

john conway

Icing up is a problem and will be for me over the next coupe of months, I don’t like the idea of anti-freeze for the sane reasons as most of you, what’s it doing to the line? Dipping the end of the rod in the water when retrieving may be OK in some instances but when you’re trying to lift your swim-feeder over obstructions on the river bed, bunging your rod tip under the water doesn’t seem very helpful? I think I’ll try glycerine, how long does it last between applications? Last time out I had two rods out, one on the method no bites and in the water for about two hours, and one which was seeing a bit of action on the swim-feeder. The reel on the method rod froze up, never had this happen before? Although thinking about it, I may have dumped some water on it while I was lifting a dripping landing net over the top of the rod.