chub on a fly

John Wood 2

Reaction score
I've done a bit of lure fishing for chub, and it suddenly struck me that it would be great fun, and probably very efective, fishing for chub with a fly outfit.

Has anyone ever tried it, and if so, what flies, weighyt od rod etc do you recommend.

I've got a decent pike fly collection, and quite a few decent crayfish imitation flies from the US.

M

MarkTheSpark

I've tried chub fly fishing once without success, but I'm assured the killing patterns are big bushy size 14 dries.

Of course, the moment has passed - it's a while till next summer - but I'm sure a dogged google will find some info.

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
I cut my teeth on flyfishing for chub, dace, rudd and even bleak on a small river near where I was raised in Surrey.

Chub are more wary than trout and you HAVE to keep low on smaller rivers. They'll take pretty much the same flies as Trout and nymphs work well. I tend to use larger sizes for chub and the tackle you use for trout is about right. Rudd prefer tiny flies-sizes 18 and smaller.Same for dace and bleak. Dry fly is exciting- especially for dace on 1 pound cast. Chub as easily as greedy as a rainbow when feeding and most lure type flies will take the bigger fish too.
Hope this helps J.W.

P

"pelletus horriblus"

I've caught[stillwater]chub on deerhair pellet flies intended for carp...tied on a size 6 hook.