famous

ingy

Reaction score
went fishing a few weeks ago on a drain not far from my home , when who should i bump into but mike brown , had a nice chat with the guy very nice bloke and intresting conversation , have you ever met anyone famous on the bank and did they live upto you expectations or not

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I've met many anglers on the bank who in later years became quite famous.

Some of these were 1st class s**thouses and shall be nameless.

Many, however, were damned good anglers and very helpful indeed.

And the most famous angler I have met was **** Walker of course.

Did he live up to his image? You can bet your life he did. More so in fact.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What about Frank Jeff?

He was one of my heros in the 60s.

M

MarkTheSpark

I went to see Richie Macdonald (remember him?) at a lake once, and he introduced me to this QPR footballer who I'd never heard of, not being (then) a footie fan.

So I walked round the lake with this really nice, very big, bloke, watching the car spawn. The next time I saw him was years later, and he had an England shirt on. Yep. David Seaman.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I watched a bloke fishing a side stream of the Thames in a pool below a bridge; had a flat cap, seemed to be catching a few, certainly impressed me. This was 1971, I was only 14, and it was only years later that I realised that I'd been watching the man who now has a plaque commemorating his life on that very bridge. I did get to meet him and he lived up to expectations.

Who was the man?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Early 1980's, Witley Park (Surrey) big lake.

He had 64lb+ of crucians. I thought I'd won the match by a mile with 37lb of rudd!

Good job we were in the same team!

Who was that man?

Smokedodger

Reaction score
When working in Italy last year I had the good fortune to liase with Tom Pickering, Alan Scotthorne, Denis White and the rest of the Barnsley Blacks who were competing in the "World Club Championship" and what a pleasure it was to sit and talk with them and watch them fish.

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

Every time I fish, I fish with the only celebrity in my eyes I?ll recognise. That famous person to me is so massive I chase his shadow and tread in his footsteps. The rest pail into insignificance against the stature of this man!

Do you know him? Probably not, but to me he?s the most famous person on the bank as I fish!

:0)

W

Wolfman Woody

Just read Ingy's invitation, which read - "have you ever met anyone famous on the bank"

Yes, I fish with Frank Guttfield quite a lot, but I've met (in no particular order of preference)-
Bob Nudd
Ian Heaps
Alan Scotthorne
Peter Stone
Sandra Scotthorne (ne Halkon-Hunt)
Dave Vincent
Billy Lane
Keith Arthur
Steve Gardener
Kim Milsom
The fabulous Ivan Marks
but one of the nicest and most generous is still Granville Marzipan.

There's others that I've met who have turned out to be a disappointment so it's best they're forgotten.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
How could I forget Sandra, she was there with the team as well, looking after her "boys".

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark sked: "Who was the man?"

Not much of a clue, might have been; Peter Stone.

Neil asked: "Who was the man?"

Hmmmn, same team huh?
Okay, Mark Wintle!

Who have I met and fished with?

(in no particular order)

Stevie Gardner,
Steve Saunders
Dave Vincent
Jan Porter,
Milo Columbo,
Trabucco,
Paul (Tommy) Hillier
Jean Desque (the most perfect match angler on the planet, after Stevie G)
Jon-Anders Walle (captain of the Norwegian Team, a great angler and a gentleman)
Ray Mumford (so focused he didn't know anyone was actually there)
Plus a bunch of French match anglers who most people wouldn't recognise the names.

One of the most interesting nights I ever spent was with Jan Porter, Stevie G, Dave Vincent and Jon-Anders in a hotel in Norway after a match and a good dinner arguing about: Flavouring maggots, groundbaiting, shotting patterns on large lakes on the pole and Norwegian Aquavit!
The next day we fished a match on a 'broad' on the Glomma River where Dave Vincent fished 14 and a half metres of pole in a near gale and wiped the floor with the rest of us, having never seen the venue, or even been in Norway before.
What an angler!

Let's not forget some of the terrific anglers here on FM; Graham M, Wol (Hat-trick) Andy Nellist, Mark W, Ron C, Neil M and many others.

True anglers in every sense of the word.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Jeez Peter, I'm honoured! Fame at last.

I'll echo the comment about Ray Mumford. Pegged next to him on the Thames at Radcot. Really friendly and chatty before and after the match. But between 10 & 3 he was in his own world. Thrashed me of course, with 6lb+ to my 2lb+

I've sat behind "Tommy" Hillier at Gold Valley several times. He's good and very friendly as well. Stevie(s) Gardner/Saunders damn good as well, both are goldmines of information, sheer class.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The one angler I seriously regret never meeting is **** Walker. I've met many of the top names of the past 30 years, not many charlatans though the odd one that ought to remain nameless. Surprisingly I've been watched in matches by several England anglers, probably to understand how not to do it? though from memory they were showing why they are so good by picking my brains when I had figured something out - those at the top don't care who you are only that you can help them.

To answer the original question perhaps I have the most surprising answer in that Will Raison was watching me in matches in autumn 1980, he's only 30 now so he wasn't very old at the time; no doubt he was thinking that if a numpty like him can win the winter league this game should be easy!

Chris and Peter were correct in that it was Peter Stone that I watched in 1971.

Here's a few in no order: Peter Stone, Bernard Venables, Ivan Marks, Kevin and Benny Ashurst, Billy Lane, Bob Nudd, Tom Pickering, Terry Lampard, Peter Wheat, oh stuff it it would take all night.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
As a youngster at a NFA National on The Broads (one of the last "weight" matches) I got on the coach to see Kevin Ashurst sat halfway back talking to Tom Pickering (I think).

I was incredibly nervous and I wasn't even fishing! I was a "runner" and generally a pain in the @r$e to the team.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Can't have been Tommy, Neil, not in 1968 (last Broads National - first angling newspaper I ever bought had the result)! Not unless Tommy was in the National when he was about 12 (he wasn't), don't think Barnsley were in it either until Div 2 came in four years later.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'll have to have a word with Mick then!

1968 - I was 14 - thought it was earlier.

(Mick came home with a medal from that one - Section I think)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Another angler who cames to mind is Tag Barnes of course. I have fished in the company of this most brilliant angler more times than I can remember. Let's face it, we were members of the same specimen group.

And dear old Peter Stone of course, not only one of the greatest British anglers of all time, but a true gentleman and a real character.

Other excellent anglers who were members of the NSG were **** Clegg, John Neville, Steve Crawshaw, John Weston and Eric Hodson. But probably the greatest angling character of all time was Ray Webb.

There will NEVER be another Ray Webb.

Amongst other great anglers I have had the privilage of sharing the bank with were Barrie and Christine Rickards. Christine, today, is one of my closest friends.

And I have the fondest memories of spending 3 weeks with Jim Gibbinson when he visited South Africa in 1979.

Another great angler who is often, just too modest.

And last but not least - Benny Ashurst. One of the nicest men I have ever met, even for a Lancastrian. I spent several days in his company in Ireland in 1961.