A writer inthe making is our Christian!

W

Wolfman Woody

Well written young man.

Sorry you didn't catch that one from the Compleat, they can be quite canny at times. Still, you managed that one the day after.

Stick with the spinning, you don't need multipliers although they are good fun. Just get a few decent spoon and spinners, don't just buy baits because they look good. Most are made to catch anglers and not the fish.

As for the CA, you're welcome back anytime you like!

I'm just sorry your nice well written piece had to be spoilt by the sarky comment from the editor - "Jeff can do some nifty barrel rolls; he's just the right shape - Graham". To which I can only retort, look in the mirror sometime, Mr Marzdin!

S

Scott Whatmore

Great article Christian, well done!

I remember my 1st pike, it was from the Grand Union at Harefield. It was last year and weighed about 7 or 8 ounces.

I've since raised my PB to about 5lbs. Not big by any standards, but I'll never forget the adrenalin rush.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Cheers Woody and Scott, I'm going to try and one next weekend again hopefully.

When fishing with deads do pike always approach the fish in this manner. Obviously it wouldn't use the same agression as on a live. I was lucky enough to watch the fish take the bait but I'm unsure whether they just weren't really feeding or if this was normal?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Yes very well writen Christian mate. It was an interesting read which included everyday happenings. Just as it should do.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
good read young man,good show jeff for showing him the ropes.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Well Done, Christian!
Being able to watch a fish take a bait can be a pearl beyond price - most pikers probably won't have. Now you've told us how delicately they can take, I'll be sure that if I give deads a go, I shall use the slimmest float I can!
Thanks for sharing that!

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Cracking write up Christian and well done on the pike....guess you are hooked on piking too now.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I fully agree Jeff.

Christian is obviously a young man of talent and should be nurtured. I hope he gets excellent results in his GCSEs and goes on to big things at varsity.

And I hope he keeps away from the girls who will only want his money and stop him making a great career for himself.

Watch those blinkin women Christian, they have been the ruin of many a man's career before today.

Err - sorry Wendy!

S

Sean Meeghan

Don't listen to that grumpy old bugger Christian. Women never did my career any harm. Can't say the same for my wallet though :?(

Nice article!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That's what I'm getting at Sean.

A man's best friend is his wallet!

Ask Marzipan.

W

Wolfman Woody

"When fishing with deads do pike always approach the fish in this manner."

Long time since I fished with deads, Christian. As I told you that morning, they'd been in the freezer for about 3 or 4 years. Hardly what you'd call fresh.

However, I am sure that when they see a dead bait, it's regarded as an easy meal, a bit of carrion, something to tide them over. They wouldn't attack it with the same aggression as they would a live bait. We were playing sink and draw and even then he was suspicious about taking it.

Had we kept the bait more on the move and had it been fresher, perhaps creating a flapper, maybe the take would have been better. Thing is to keep those thoughts with you and if you aren?t getting any takes on static deads, trying moving them around and injecting some life into them. Good that you?re thinking about it though, it?s what makes fishing fascinating.

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Christian, very well written. I,ve never been Piking but after reading your article I think I,ll be trying it very soon. Were you fishing Tring Anglers water on the Sunday?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Congratulations on the fish Christian, Also with the article, it was an enjoyable read. I look forward to the next instalment.

My favouite type of lure are the many rubber/jelly worms and shad type lures, endless colour, size, shape and even flavour options on the shelves of most tackle shops.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Cheers for the comments guys (and Claudia (; ).

Jim yes was fishing the Tring waters (first season on them ), not a member are you?