If............

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
A pond was dug out in a field and not stocked with fish - would fish get in there in some way?

I ask becasue near to me there is a pond in a field and for about 8 years everytime I went past there were no angler and no eveidence of anyone having fished it

then 2 yeasr back angler started appearing o nthe bank

so eitrher someoens stock it or fish have got in there some how

And before anyone suggest there in no near by river that could flood to stock the pond with fish

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I've heard of Perch appearing in waters where no Perch were ever stocked, one theory if that birds sometimes drop them from neighbouring ponds or rivers. As for enough fish for anglers to fish for they must have been stocked unless they're flying fish.

xenon

Reaction score
certain fish eggs (Perch, Roach) are in the form small globules held together by sticky gloop (technical term there). These strings are quite capable of adhering to the legs of Herons, which then fly of somewhere else watery and deposit the eggs there.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Ah but did they catch anything ..... might be that there are still no fish in the pond and these guys are just thick :D

waggy

Reaction score
Herons can also regurgitate their last meal in or over a new place and dabbling ducks can do the same if they've been feeding on fish spawn. I suppose coot and moorhen, herons and other birds could easily transfer sticky eggs on their legs.
There are also records of whirlwinds transporting small fish and frogs through the atmosphere and then raining them down elsewhere.
Otherwise, there are some anglers who seem to have a mission to scatter fish willy-nilly about the place.
Generally speaking, in my experience, it's the pond digger, often a farmer who needs a reservoir and somewhere to shoot ducks, who arranges a stocking or two.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
well I did know of one very good local angler who fished an old pit pond that was 10 yards from the Rother

He was told to stop fishing there - but he carried on and and decent fish he caught in the pond went in to the Rother

his brother told me this story - and I knew his brother well and he was no liar

little oik

Reaction score
I had a pond in my back garden where I used to live few years ago .It was stocked with the usual goldfish and some Golden Rudd .After about 3 yrs we had a few dark shapes appear in the water .I finally managed to net one ,and they were carp .(not goldfish reverted back ).I was talking to some one I knew at the time and they said "you would be surprised how they got there .Birds and frogs and toads .The eggs can get stuck to birds legs when they drink from the water etc .Also they can get attached to the slime on frogs .When they leave the water a sort of skin forms on the slime therefore protecting it and the eggs. When the amphibian then goes back in to the water the skin softens again and hey presto you end up with eggs deposited in the water .I am not sure if animals of the four legged variety can transfer them as they would possibly dry out to quickly unless there is water close by

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I had a pond in my back garden where I used to live few years ago

you lived in a pond in a back garden - oo we used to dream of living in a pond in a back garden

there were 38 of us living in an old septictank on a rubbish tip

Sorry - took the thread of track and got a bit silly - well I've been behaving all day - well on this site anyway;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I would agree with the movement of fish eggs by waterfowl - I remember fishing bomb creators in the middle of fields close to Northolt airdrome during the fifties for tench. I'm sure they weren't stocked there.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
its chaos theory , was jurassic park filmed in vain ? ask yourselves people .... ask yourselves

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
birds don't just take eggs on their feet ,its known that seeds can be eaten whole by birds and survive a trip through the birds simple digestive system and once deposited go on to grow .so may fish eggs survive such a trip and find new homes in new waters ....... as i'd guess more birds poop in waters than actually stop off too feed or drink ...! would also explain why fish like floating white bread !!! .

dannytaylor

Reaction score
probably goes someway to explaining why barbel appear in stillwaters :rolleyes:

It intrigues me how eels get into waters that are miles from rivers and lack any inlets or outlets???

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hi Danny, I always thought eels are capable of surviving for long periods of time out of water and can cross land and damp meadows in their search for water systems
Jerry

dannytaylor

Reaction score
I think they could travel a shortish journey over damp grass??? but a long journey across tarmac and footpaths too a water miles from any drainage ditches/streams etc. How do they do it :confused: Just adds to the fishes appeal for me.

Just remebered there was footage posted on an eel thread of elvers crawling up a vertical rock face :eek: