Fishing on a motorbike

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Due to lack of funds, I had to look for an alternative method of transport when I came home in April.

A motorbike was the obvious choice because I love riding them, but would they be fishing friendly?

My early season trout fishing was a doddle. Small bag on my back, rod in a tube over my shoulder, net bungeed to the front of my top box. I rode with my chest waders on, so didn't need to think about storing them somewhere.

I thought coarse fishing would be more tricky, but not so. My rucksack on my back, quiver type holdall over my shoulder. My chair and net bag is strapped to the front of my top box, which holds a decent sized bait bucket.

I think night fishing is a definite possibility. Bedchair strapped to top box which would hold my bivvy. Haven't tried it yet though...

The benefits? well my 125 does 130 mpg. It's 15 quid tax, 100 insurance (without any no claims discount), a fair start. Car parks are never full. Sometimes you can access places cars can't, save yourself a long walk :)

The downsides? Well I don't mind getting wet on the way home but avoid setting off in heavy rain. I'd imagine winter might be a bit tough, none of that hot air when the car warms up!

Anyone else go fishing on a motorbike?

Reaction score
I was in Turkey and saw a bloke on a motor bike plus a woman sat on the facing backwards with her legs apart. On one knee was sat a little boy and on the other a dog.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Ha ha I saw a family of five on a scooter in Indonesia, no kidding. Personally I refrained from this type of behaviour whilst in the world's largest archipeligo, limiting myself to death defying journeys across the island of Bali, with a 6' 8" surfboard strapped to a carrier that protruded 18 inches to the left of my bike.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

The traffic was such there that once, in complete gridlock, a fellow biker parked the front wheel of his bike on top of my right foot. I looked at him, he nodded (as bikers do). I nodded back. End of story.

richiekelly

Reaction score
dont have a bike now but when i was younger i used one to go piking in the fens, not the best way to travel in the winter, i love bikes but cant ride them any more.

chav professor

Reaction score
My first independant foray down to the coast sea fishing was on a moped on the hard shoulder of the main road - got stopped and was warned I could get myself killed (it was an interesting journey).......

I reackon a side car combination could be viable - India are introducing the cheapest production car in the world. With a 600cc engine and a 0-60mph of 25secs. Be a bit more comfortable too

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I used to use a motorbike as my sole mode of transport and as Ric says they can be quite versatile. I'd draw the line at putting a quiver with 12ft two piece rods over my shoulder, but three piece rods should be fine.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm going to have to have a go at fishing using my mountain bike as transport

I do enjoy bike riding and it would help me get further a field to some palces where I don't like to leave my car and are too far to walk

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Just think of the Saddle bags as an extention to your seat .... you could even have stabilisers.

Lord Paul Buttocks and a Bacon Slicer ..... sounds like a B movie horror flick.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I do hope the term 'saddle' bag is not a euphemism for the same thing we used to call saddle bags in my youth. If it is how is L.Paul going to get the maid on the bike aswell as his fishing gear?