FishingMagic's First Grayling Day.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nigel, it sounds like you all had a fantastic day.

What a line up of pins! Will my little ABU 501 do the job down on the Itchen?

Nice write up and lovely pictures, see you all in February, I can't wait.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

What the caption didn't say was that the pins all belonged to PJ.He couldn't decide which one to bring so he brought his whole collection ;-)

The 501 will do fine I suspect but if you want to try a pin for the day, or for a bit of it, you can gladly use one of mine.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Yes it was a fantastic day! The venue and company were superb, at times I felt I had the whole place to myself but then found myself chatting away as we passed each other on our various meanderings.

Whilst not my first grayling, they were the first for over 20 years! Beautiful fish and as Nigel says, the very clear, crisp and bright day showed them off to full advantage.

Thanks to the fishery management, Nigel and all the very accomplished anglers who made this day one to remember.

Can't wait for the next one!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I think (I know!) I will be taking you up on that offer Nigel, cheers ;-)

P.J has offered to lend one to Jeff, prior to him purchasing one. What a great bunch of blokes we've got on FM.

W

Wolfman Woody

Looks a nice fishery Nigel and you all had a good time.

"He couldn't decide which one to bring so he brought his whole collection ;-)" - No, not his whole collection. That would have been just the tip of the iceberg. Surely he would have used a cane rod, though, wouldn't he?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

No problem Steve,I'll dust off my wooden Nottingham Star Back just for you.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I'd fine tuned my kit down to an absolute minimum, for a change, mind you the car had a stackfull inside in case I needed anything else.

I can only echo what the others have said, a great day on a lovely little river, great company, excellent anglers happy to share information on where to find the Dace (ops) and Nigel's chilli really hit the spot at lunchtime.

If you look very carefully at the picture then you will see that all the others are 'cack-handed' except moi :-0)

I am counting the days until the next one.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"he had less gear than me on the day"

Now that I would like to have seen, are sure he wasn't hiding more in his 4 X 4 as a sort of 'Just in case'.

I love that picture "The early frost" Nigel and I have emailed you about it. Maybe I will be fit for next years grayling bash I really am envious of you all, it looks a very inviting stretch of river and a floatman's dream.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Graham,

I may make a decent chilli but I am no photographer.If I recall correctly, that was one of the pictures Neil Maidment sent me.It is a fantastic picture isn't it?

"Are sure he wasn't hiding more in his 4 X 4 as a sort of 'Just in case'"

Given Peter's post above, you obvioulsy know him of old!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Graham,

You really couldn't have timed that better if you tried!

Nigel, I'm touched that you would trust me with your antiques ;-)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I wasn't the first to arrive but those who were there were just milling around. A nice gentle start to the day, a few introductions and slowly setting the 'pins up.

Except......... a blur as somebody strode off at a pace into the distance making tracks in the frosty grass......... looking for that first grayling.....

"Is Peter here?" I casually ask... "There he goes" ....fingers pointed to the fast disappearing phantom figure.

He was keen! But I tell you what, he can trot a float!

That guy "Nellist" is not much cop. Let him into "my swim" and he promptly foul hooked a thumping great rainbow up the @r$e. Killed the swim for at least 10 minutes.

M

MarkTheSpark

What a lovely report, great pictures, and a summing up of what looks like a day I should kick myself for missing.

I think I fished the stretch years ago - with Bruce Vaughan, maybe? Is it the same stretch that 'Steady' Wilson fished on't telly?

Whatever, it just looks great. I'll move heaven and earth to get to the next one - if the queue isn't too long.

Just one thing: "With luck the big girls may show on the next trip to the Itchen in February" That can't possibly refer to the fragrant and sylph-like FM lady members!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I really enjoyed that day. Reading the write up and looking at the photos makes me want to go again. Now! Well, when it gets light anyway!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

This is what fishing is all about. Looking at the pics and reading the article is like taking a step back in time.

ALAN PALMER 2

Reaction score
Really upset I had to miss it............looks like some lovely fish were had from a great looking stream.
Hope to go on a future one.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Could you not have had a horrible time. I would not have felt better missing what looks like a good time with some excellent fishing.

Is there still room on the Feb get together.

T

Thalia

Nigel - great report and stunning pictures! One of the best on here for a while.

Well done.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Kevin, don't SHOUT!!

Keep an eye out on the forum for the relevant threads. The Grayling Day was the first Fish-In I've been on and it was great. Hadn't met any of the guys before but had a marvelous time, everyone very friendly and some damn good anglers among them.

That Fish-In was limited to just a dozen people because of the venue but there is a similar event in Feb 07 River Itchen Fish-In . A little bigger but "sold out" very quickly.

Steve is organising another one River Avon Fish-In.

You'll be made very welcome, I can assure you.