Help... Cheese Paste Ingredients

R

Rodney Wrestt

I have seen a few different ways of making cheese paste from melting it in the microwave to adding grated cheese to a slab of puff pastry. What is your favourite ingredients and methods to make this and do you change the ingredients for summer and winter? (If it?s a secret, type in lower case and I wont tell anyone.) ;-}~

G

Gary Knowles

Rodney,

50% frozen pastry mix (defrosted)
25% Blue Stilton
25% Extra mature Cheddar
squirt of Rod Hutchinson's smelly cheese
dribble of concentrated garlic oil (shh-that's my secret!)
teaspoon of orange colouring

Roll the pastry mix flat, grate the cheese over the top gradually inbetween folding and rolling, keep rolling and kneading, then add the garlic and cheese flavouring until you have a consistent mix.

In winter use more soft cheese (blue stilton) than cheddar to help guard against it going solid once on the hook and in the water.

Sorry about the measures, I'm not one for precise quantities.....

C

Cheese Paste

Mine is fairly simple

250g Puff Pastry
250g Danish Blue
250g Cheddar

Grate it all into a bowl (the pastry must be frozen when you grate it) add any secret flavours then mix it all together.

Never tried garlic I think I'll give it a bash next time.

This catches me more chub than any other bait and stays on the hook a treat.

W

Wendy Perry

my last mixture of cheese paste was a disaster i read in a book that you could use soft cheese out of a tube add to it some cornflour and a full tub of parmesan cheese i mix it all together in a bowl and it ended up one big sloppy mess LOL !!!

That's why i fish coz i can't cook !!!!

G

Gary Knowles

He just nicket by recipie then put some crappy carp stuff in it !

S

Stewart Bloor

''He just nicket by recipie''...Gary, it sounds like you're Elizabethan lessons are going really well. Either that, or you've been on the Grolsch again....

D

Del Jarman

Wendy, try C.P.'s recipie and add a teaspoon or RED powdered carp dye. This is "good old M.H's" recipie taken straight from his book so I don't think you need any more persuasion than that:..lol

Del.

No I didn't buy the book twas a Chrimbo pressie, honest injun.

W

Wendy Perry

LOL Del if Matt did it well.....it has to be the best!!!!

Be even better if Matt could show me how ;o)

D

Del Jarman

Wendy, if? Matts recipie doesn't work try Garry's recipie, that(without the garlic) is from the real "chub maestro".. LOL young Tony Miles's book.
Yes I DID buy that one.

Del.

G

Gary Knowles

I wish you'd all stop going on about the garlic - that's my secret ingredient !

Sedge - sorry mate, in too big of a rush at work to use the smellchek !

S

Stewart Bloor

I use a dip of blue cheese and garlic, which really spices up the hookbait. Not only paste, but dip bread etc in it as well. I use Richworth Impact boilie dip.

W

Wendy Perry

Do Carp like this cheese paste coz i'm going fishing for carp on Sat my last day of fishing for a while and i wanna beat my pb of 8lb9 ?????

R

Rodney Wrestt

Thank you all for your info everyone.

Pssst Gary, I won't tell any one about the secret you know what (is the Camay TOP secret as you've not whispered it in your list, or is it reserved for special guests? ) ;-}~

Wendy,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but?. Mr Hayes' wife makes his paste for him as he says she makes it far better than he ever could?hmmmmm I wonder.

W

Wendy Perry

WHOOOOOO oh nooooooo he's married arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh LOL

ah well never mind i still think he's lovely and a good fisherman !!

D

Del Jarman

Wendy, if you think M.H. is good looking you should see his son, 6ft.plus, nice teeth as well. Funny when you think about it Matt is only knee high to a grasshopper.LOL.
Anyway Matts a nice bloke really, he used to work weekends in our local tackle shop when he was a lad. Long time ago tho'that was. Ouch!!! what was that for Wendy?

Del.

J

John Pleasance

I make mine two diferent ways,the first is very similar to most of those above but probably with less pastry.I would estimate

8oz.cheddar
4oz Danish blue
4oz frozen short crust pastrymix
any colouring or flavourings you like.

The other way is just to use cheddar and a
VERY SMALL amount of soft margarine,the stuff that spreads straight from the fridge.
You only need about a teaspoonful to 1/2 lb.of cheese.

I've tried using cheesepaste in summer but it normally just runs out of the bag!Any suggestions welcome.I expect there is a summer recipe somewhere.

Yes Wendy carp love it.Carp will eat just about anything the same as most fish.

Roach are supposed to like cheesepaste but but despite regular use whilst chubbing in winter I've never caught one on it.How about everybody else?

Oh and one more thing,I never use all my cheesepaste I always keep back at least a large golfball sized piece and that goes in the next batch.It really hums by March.

W

Wendy Perry

Hey Del he's not that old is he ??? he looks in his 30's i thought :eek:) (you never know he may log on tonight and see this Del)
:eek:)

R

Rodney Wrestt

what other species have you caught on cheese paste, I know chub and barbel are the usual targets but any surprise catches?