Tackle Tips

Beermonster

Reaction score
Hi all. New to the site and newish to fly fishing. Been fly fishing for 4 months and I think its time I upgraded the bargain basement tackle that I started with as its really not very good. Been fishing my local fisheries near Wrexham in North Wales and next year going to start fishing Llyn Brenig, Trawsfynydd and Vyrnwy as they are all within an hours travel. I've been looking at the Greys Grxi 9ft 6in #7/8 rod and matching reel as this is about the budget I have but I would really appreciate any comments about this package or any ideas of more suitable rods for the fishing I want to do. I've just bought some Snowbee XS line as I've only ever heard good things about it from friends and reviews. Thanks

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

In this price range you have picked the right sort of tackle. Also have a look at the Sharpes of Aberdeen rods which have recieved very favourable reviews of late.

The Snowbee lines are of course the best in the business and will suit the type of waters you are fishing.

You are going to find this tackle a revelation compared with the stuff you have been using. As regards casting, you also might have to sharpen up your timing a little.

alex laurie

Reaction score
Beermonster,

I've had a Grey's which was OK. I currently also have a Sharpes Gordon, which is a nice rod, but maybe a bit fast for a relative beginner.
If I were you, I 'd get a casting lesson or two from an APGAI member and take their advice on tackle. The Snowbee lines are good kit though.

p.s. I tend to fish lighter gear than most, but a #6 or #7 outfit would sound like it suits your fishing.

Alex

S

Shrek

The GRXi rod is a very good choice, but I wouldn't go for the GRXi reel. I have a GRX reel and I'm not that impressed with it, especially when I dropped it in the water and it seized up.

I'm looking to change it for an Okuma Air Stream as they are only ?17 per reel and spools are ?10 each (from www.waderson.com). As they are saltwater proof, I'm hopefully not going to have the same problem.

Agree with the Snowbee lines as well, it's all I use.

T

Terry D

The Lefty Kreh rods from Temple Fork have some very good write-ups on their website. Well worth a look.

Beermonster

Reaction score
I've been dropping subtle (or not) hints to the mrs about what I want as a christmas present - fishing catalogues left open at a Grxi rod advert etc but all i'm getting off her is that we need a new camera for christmas. I ask her how i'm gonna catch fish with a camera. She says I can take nice pictures of the fish I catch! I say i'll be taking a lot less pictures if I dont get a decent rod.
I think its safe to say i'll be buying my own rod. Just need to convince her ?100 is really not a lot to spend on a rod as to her its just a big stick to throw the line in the water!
Adrian saying his GRX reel seized up has got me a bit concerned about buying the Grxi reel. I know its probably the least crucial bit of kit you use when at your local fishery but if (hopefully when) I get into a big un' I want something that works as well as looks good.

S

Shrek

It's a long story Richard. If we ever meet, I'll regale you with it.

Bet you can't wait now.

M

MarkTheSpark

Beermonster. I endorse what Adrian says about reels. And I have a shedload of Airstreams and use them for everything. They're cheap and brilliant. The 7/9 size is a great reel.

P

"pelletus horriblus"

Blimey Adrian...you have a secret past? Don't tell me you're South African....

Beermonster

Reaction score
Bought the Grxi rod on friday and took it out today for its maiden voyage as well as using the Snowbee line for the first time. Oh my god! Ron was right when he said this tackle would be a revelation.
Once I got my timing right and got used to the different action I couldn't believe how much easier it was to cast better, further and with a lot more precision.
I had a wonderful morning at my local fishery with 7 nice fish and to top it all the last one was a 6lb 7oz beauty that more than doubles my personal best. I know there will be better days than this but at the moment this is at the top of my great days list!
Some people will say I may still have caught the same fish on my old tackle but having gear that really works instills a confidence and helps you to fish to the best of your ability.
I think my new rod got a decent christening but now got to deal with the mrs moaning about the amount of fish in the freezer! Guess you guys have had to deal with that one for years.
Just need the reel now and I've been looking at the Vision Koma ,the Airflo Balance and the Grxi again. Wish I could go for the airstream but I really dont like the look of them.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

If you can manage a few quid extra, have a look at the Pflueger Trion reel. It's a machined aluminium one with a superb disk drag and you can pick them up for about ?55. There is a review on this website.

Now a few more tips that will put yards on your casting.

I don't know how far you can cast but the following should enable you to get virtually 25 yards of a foward taper line off your reel with 2 or maybe 3 false casts.

If you are right handed, stand with your left foot a little ahead of your right, it's called an open stance. If you do this already forget what I have said.

Watch you backcast carefully, you can do this with an open stance and make sure the back cast is virtually fully extended. before you start the forward cast.

Keep your casting arm and hand in plane. Make sure you don't twist your wrist on the back cast or you will send the line skew and the cast will collapse.

The power you impart to the line in both the forward and back cast is done over a very short arc indeed. You can only execute a good forward cast if you have performed a good back cast. Keep it smooth and don't try to cast too far. I know this sounds silly but you will cast further by trying not to do so.

You know you have it right when the line sings through the air and the rod makes no swishing sounds at all.

From there you can go on to learn the double haul.

S

Shrek

BM,

From the three reels you've narrowed your choice down to, I would go for the Vision Koma. I have the Salmon Reel version and am very pleased with it. If you shop around you can find it for ?50 with a spare spool included, www.waderson.com currently offer this deal.

Well done on the fish though and I sincerely hope they will be the first of very many. You can always give the extra fish away to friends and family or, if you're like Ron, try and sell them to a local hostelry.