Reuben Heaton

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I am thinking of buying a thermometer.
Has anybody used one of THESE RH anglers thermometers? Or would the Digital ones be better?

Any other information would be apreciated.
I don't have the use of a boat so casting one is my only option.
How would it be best to set one up for casting? Marker float style with a foot of line comeing off a swivel so it doesn't get stuck in weed etc?

Does the thermometer sink if you free line it?

Steaker de Lurker

Reaction score
I'd go for the slim one if I was you ........... I think you'd have a problem trying to use the other one rectally.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I have the digital one and it's nowhere near accurate. It's up to 7 degrees celcius out at a certain temperature (I can't remember which).

I have spoken to Reuben Heaton and they said they would replace it but I haven't got round to sending it off yet.

I reckon I'd go for the brass one next time.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Thanks lads.
If it is part brass it must sink then, cheers.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I carried a thermometer for many years - one of those brass encased ones - I've forgotten the make.

I must admit that I have not bothered with one for many years now, but perhaps I should.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Baz, if you did get the digital one, it has a cable with a sensor on the end. It's about 6ft long so will give you a decent reading from the margins. I wrapped som lead wire around mine to add weight and that worked a treat.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Thanks Matt.
I think I will be getting the brass one though. There will be times when I need to get a bit of distance with it. Or would dragging it back through the water say 50yds? give me a false reading?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Can't understand why you would want to cast out a thermometer Baz, most people just dip it into the water. You could always tie it to the end of your rod if you needed to get over weeds or the like

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Graham.
The reason I would want to cast a thermometer out on a "stillwater" is find if their is any difference in temperature from the bank to about 50yds distance. I would have thought that there would have been, considering the varying depths etc.

When you think about it, if you have ever been swimming in a lake you will often find cold spots at varying distances. I have swum across each of the lakes in the Lake District over the years, some of the coldest spots were quite close in.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

In still waters with any depth Graham the temperature can vary, especially if the water is deep and large enough to create a thermocline.

Even in shallow still waters the effect of sun and wind can cause difference in temperature in parts of the lake. This can affect where the fish will be.

Because of the mixing of the water in flowing rivers this effect is not so pronounced.

I remember dropping a max/min thermometer into a large deep lake years ago. The water temperature in the margins was 24 deg C. In depths of up to 20 metres it was about 4 deg C.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

<u>Specification on the R/H Standard Thermometer</u>

Our standard anglers thermometer can be used conventionaly as a hand held unit or at distance. For temperature readings at distance simply attach to the main line and cast out.
The shock resistant casing protects the thermometer inside, and also traps a sample of water to reduce temperature change on the retreive.

? Shock proof to withstand casting.
? Measures in Centigrade and Fahrenheit.
? Comes with pouch.
? After sales support
? -10 to +40C / 30F to 100F
? Metric / Imperial

I have also e-mailed the company to ask for any further advice. I will post on here if I get a reply.

S

Sean Meeghan

Baz I use a digital aquarium thermometer from Maplins. Under a tenner, small, long lead on the waterproof sensor, reliable, accurate enough for my purposes and if I lose it it doesn't break the bank.

J

john conway

Baz I use the Reuben Heaton digital thermometer and as yet I've not had any trouble but they don't last forever, maybe two or three years if used once or twice a week. However, having said that at the Ribble Fish-in last week Andy Nellist was only telling me he'd had problems with his digital thermometer always giving the same reading, always about 7C. There is no need to cast a thermometer on the river because of the constant movement there are no thermo clines, unless we are talking very deep and slow rivers and even then I not sure. There's about 2M of thermocouple wire on the Reuben Heaton digital thermometer and thats always been adiquate for me. Moreover, before anyone says what about ice floating on the water. It floats because at 4 deg water expands hence the same volume of ice weighs less than the same volume of water. Admittedly, in these conditions there is a very slight temperature gradient between the ice and water at the bottom of the river.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Thanks for that John. Knowing that you have used a thermometer for a long time I was going to ask you for your advice.
Have you ever found different temperatures on different parts of the same river on the same day? i.e on the inside of a bend.

Sean.
When I first saw a digital thermometer, I did "momentarily" think to hold onto the leed and throw the digi box in its self (o

rob walker 2

Reaction score
hi if you read what it says the unit traps a specimen of water from the given depth so the unit does not fluctuate in temp as you reel it back in

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Just an update on my Reuben Heaton thermometer. I sent it back last week, explaining the problems I'd had a a new one arrived in the post yesterday morning.

So, thank you RH.