help with new multiplier

Gary Roberts

Reaction score
Hi have just bought a new fladen multiplier beach surf casting multiplier fishing reel, didn't pay much as this is first multiplier have ever used and wanted to make sure i can get on with it!
Need any advice i can get on how to put the line onto the reel and then actually using it. Conveniently it came with no instructions! thanks everyone

alan

Reaction score
feed the line through the level wind if it has one, and tie it on to the spool as you would a fixed spool.

keeping the line under slight pressure wind the handle untill the line is 1-2mm below the edge of the spool.

if it hasnt got a level wind hold the line with2 fingers on while turning the reel move the line slowly from left to right.

on the end of the reel should be a little nob, turnit untill you can move the spool left to right by less then a millimeter, if it dosnt move slacken it off till it does. if its to tight you will damage the reel.

to cast, take it slow and easy dont snatch it.

with your thump on the spool press the little lever to put it in free spool, dont remove your thumb or it will tangle.

cast as normal but taking it easy, when you would release the line on a fixed spool, lift you thumb slighty.

as soon as the weight hits the water stick your thumb on the spool to stop it spining, if you dont it will birdie.

the most important things to remeber are, dont let go of the spool before casting

stop the spool as soon as the weight hits the water

keep the cast as smooth as poss.

dont be scared of them they really are easy to cast.

Gary Roberts

Reaction score
thanks alan, your advice is really good, i'm trying it out on tuesday so we'll see eh! thanks again!

G

Gaz B 2

I've just started using a multiplier and i practised at my local football pitches for a hour or so first. Using the lenght of the pitches you get a general idea of the distance. Haven't had one birdie YET. Going beach fishing for the first time tomorrow - probably end in tears!

Gary Roberts

Reaction score
i went on tuesday and it was dark already - thats my excuse anyway! i birds nested 4 times, not bad eh! still going to persevere though! good luck!

T

The Monk

I use the small American Multipliers for spinning and plug fishing, they are strange to get used to at first and dont work well with smaller lures, over time however you do feel connected with the lure and learn to feel the brake when needed, its a knack really, like learning to cast a fly

Adam Adz

Reaction score
I have just got 1 my self 1st ever 1 every single time i cast i get a birdie i don't know if i have put to much line on or what, i have read everything i can i also have no instructions really need help lol any advice for me, I only got it for carp fishing off the top!

W

Wolfman Woody

Read Alan's post above and develop an "educated thumb."

Why buy a multiplier for carp fishing though?