rods

N

Nicky Garbutt

any suggestions for a pike rod for medium to close range float fishing and what are the best floats.

thanks

D

David Will

Nicky something in the 2 and a half to two and three quarters range will be right. Have a look at the Daiwa range , they have prices in most ranges. You could also have a look at the Fox range but shop around for best prices, the same applies to Daiwa.I have heard good things about the Marvic rods also.Brundall Angling Centre(on the web) have a good mail order service and carry a good range.I am an occasional customer.
For floats pencils as they are called are best for deadbaitingon stillwaters. These are fished so they are half cocked.Cast out a couple of feet over depth then reel in until the float is half cocked fishing at 45 degrees to the surface. A run will be signified by them standing upright and sinking or laying flat then standing up and sinking.It is a very delicate presentation and should give you CONFIDENCE that deep hooking is unlikely.On rivers i don't float fish deadbaits just leger or wobble them. If you are livebaiting cigar shape floats with the line going through the centre are best. You will need to use either braid or nylon with line floatant if you are free roving livebaits.If the line sinks between rod tip and float you have the chance of a bite off as well as tiring your bait too quickly and your bait will not work properly. Fox do a range either buy these or similar or make your'e own from balsa.The Scottish PAC have good diagrams of the relevant rigs and floats.They are on the web.
Good luck.

C

Chris Bishop

Marvics are ace as long as you don't use big baits or want to cast long distances - brill for anything up to joey mackerel size.

Otherwise Shimano make some nice rods for just the othger side of ?100 - good deals on Symetres etc mail order at the moment.

Daiwa Dictators are seriously nice if you can afford 'em.

Don't pay ?3.50 for pencil floats, make your own for 20p each. There's an article on the rig on here somewhere.

R

Rob Brownfield

I agree with Chris about the floats!!..lol...to much "Scottishness" rubbing off me living up here!!

Daiwa Powermesh "Livebait" rods from The Tackle Shop, Gainsborough are designed for close in float fishing...great rods, and cheap now. The Dictators are great, but expensive...hence the reason I have the earlier version..until I can upgrade.

C

Chris Bishop

Daiwa make some top rods. There were some pike rods they made a few years back - maybe the ones Rob's ob about - which you still see people using up here on the drains.

Andy Doughty's just got some Dictators and they're wicked.

Marvics are one of the loveliest rods to hold and fish with but a bit lacking on backbone.

S

Steve Burke

Strangely, there seem to be regional preferences in pike rods. Having been involved with rod-building for many years it's become very noticeable that Southerners tend to prefer soft action pike rods whilst Northerners like a stiffer action.

Any ideas why?

G

Gary Knowles

Northern guys are generally 'Stiffer' in every department Steve.......

C

Chris Bishop

If you fish the drains and rivers round here you seldom need to fish at range, whereas a lot of the northern waters are larger.

It's definitely been more of a preoccupation up there - several of them have written articles about it from time to time.

R

Rob Brownfield

I first bought Armalites for piking up here...being told by the tackle shop that they were good for long range piking. They were replaced within a year by Daiwa Amourphous (now dictators). I found the armalites far to soft for use from the bank.

I suppose when u are fishing a water where the far bank is over a mile away, my view of long range and the view of a tackle shop in the midlands is slightly different :)

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Gary said
"Northern guys are generally 'Stiffer' in every department Steve......."

Well I've noticed that you fish like one mate :)

Seriously though, whatever you do, don't spend a fortune on a pike rod, it just isn't worth it. Most live/deadbaiting rods sit in the rests for 99% of the time. It would be a big mistake, I think, to buy a ?200 rod like the tackle tarts (you know who they are) in the mistaken belief that it will add five yards to your casting. Spend the money on a good club card instead - or a night at the opera!

Eric

C

Chris Bishop

Agree with Eric. Look at Shakespeare Zeniths - a bit top-heavy and floppy but they're ?40 a throw and just about bomb-proof for close to medium range stuff.

N

Nicky Garbutt

are them in-line floats any good. are they only used for deep water?

B

Ben Lovell

Hello,

I got a set of Giant rods in 3lb test. They're absolutely brilliant rods, full fuji fittings with sic rings throughout. Also they have a full duplon handle which I always prefer for piking anyway. They only cost ?80 each too! I really can't fault them and even though you can whack a bait out with them, they're not too stiff.

D

David Will

What in line floats are they then Nicky.?
In lines (cigar shape size dependant on bait size) are often used for livebaiting (free rovers) they can be used for any depth.They can also be used on rivers for trotting baits and for static deadbaiting But as I said earlier make sure you use a floating line or make it float.
So what rods are you going to buy.

N

Nicky Garbutt

daiwa powermesh 2.75 tc. i like it and it should be good for at 10 yard cast to the weeds. and im still yet to buy my pike fly rod that can wait til summer now.

R

Rob Brownfield

Nicky...the powermesh are great rods...probably one of the best for the money.

Eric..Tackle Tarts??..hmmm...what about people who actually by the tackle for a reason..not to look good? My rods are never seen by anyone else anyway...since I very rarely see anyone when fishing.

C

Chris Bishop

Through-the-middle floats are for trotting/laying on in rivers and free roving lives where you want the line on top.

Tackle tarts... These are the guys that wear French maid's outfits under their thermal one piece suits..?