Winter Fishing

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Another fine article Mark.

Last year I became more determined than ever to get out there more in the winter months. A couple of my mates and relations, of lets say more advanced age, have real problems with winter fishing. Their circulation is not what it should be and their hands in particular are very badly affected in cold weather.

They find it very, very frustrating but can't really enjoy a day out in the cold weather. It takes a lot to stop these guys fishing but I'm afraid a heavy frost and freezing temperatures does just that.

I'm determined to get out more whilst I still can!

njb51

Reaction score
I suffer from bad circulation in cold weather too! My hands go through various colour changes: Red to purple, then onto orange!!!! Sometimes gets to a point where I can't move my fingers properly.

Good tip for this though, when you get to your swim, dunk your hands in the water for about 10 seconds. It'l be cold at first but your hands will feel warm for a long time afterwards!

Inspiring article, Mark. Thanks!

J

john conway

Just a couple of obvious points to bear in mind when river fishing during the winter.
1 River fish don't have the luxury of dossing about when it's cold they are constantly on the move when the rivers are in flood and that expends energy.
2 There is very little natural food in the winter.
Therefore, when the conditions are right winter river fish can be very obliging.
I put more time in on the river during the winter when I am Chubbing. Like Mark said in his excellent article, it really is imperative that you wrap up well. Do not forget that spare torch and batteries, the days are very short and the nights are very long in the winter. However, come late Feb and early March the fish are getting very big and very hungry.

David Craine

Reaction score
I love winter fishing myself, I do the beaches, at night, hoping for a frost after a gale to bring the fish in, I also like Pike fishing, although they seem to appreciate a static bait, they are generally big fish, I should fish rivers more than I do in winter.. I think this year I will try a few more trips after Chub, some of the posts and river reports are quite inspiring,must try liquidised bread and smelly cheese past...oh, and wrap up well.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
i haven't really winter fished myself but this winter i am determined to.I am thinking of going to the ribble again this Sat.

Loved the article Mark!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

One of my best red latter days came on the Swale a good few years back.The weather had been cold and I was chubbing without too much success.It started to snow and the chub went beserk.I think I must have had a fish a cast and ended up without about 15 fish.Why they suddenley turned on I dont know.Maybe the change in air temperature/pressure when the snow started to fall? I had to give up in the end with the fish still biting as my hands were too cold to rebait.When i got back to the car I looked like Scott of the Antartic.It will rank as one of my best sessions simply for the surprise of catching so many fish in a blizzard.

There is a lot of satisfaction of braving the elements and if you can keep physically comfortable there are good fish to be caught.

Onr added advantage is that with the shorter days you can have a day on the river and still be home for tea.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I looked at that picture at the top of the article and thought, Yes! I remember when I used to love going out in conditions like that. That, sadly, is no longer an option, it just isn't worth the risk, bad tickers and cold weather are not good bedmates.

Lovely article though Mark, as usual.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Mark, there's some cracking snowscene photos there. You ought to take up snowboarding though, it's much more fun than fishing

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Great article Mark and lovely photo's too.
I can hardly remember the last time my river looked like that, we don't get snow like that anymore down here. Many years ago we did get snow like that and I can remember catching loads of chub on the float. It was so cold I had to put my maggot box on top of a cup of hot coffee to bring them back to life.

Happy days.

MarT

Reaction score
Lovely article Mark.. and great photos.

is that the river Tame by any chance?

M

Mark Hodson

I must confess that all but one of the photo's are not mine but Grahams that he kindly supplied for the article as my digital winter galery was somewhat devoide of shots suitable. (I had a few in print but when scanned the quality wasn't good enough). So thanks once again Graham, and this year, if, and its a big if, we get any of the white stuff i'll get clicking away.

And as a result MarT you have probably correctly concluded that isn't the Tame.

Matt my brothers big into Snowboarding,used to go twice a year, once in europe and once in the states before the whole mortgage and fiancee trap was tripped ! He keeps on threatening to take me to the Snowdome which is only down the road, but I know I would end up on crutches ! (Been to the toddler snowplay there with the boy though, great fun!, especially for the dads !)

S

Spoddy Dave

Really enjoyed reading that Mark.
Like Steve,i can't remember a scenes like that for such a long time.
What it did remind me of were the few times i got to fish with my dad on the river Severn at Highley just outside Bewdley.
Aged around twelve or thirteen.
We would go down for Christmas to a wooden cottage set back from the river,a real Christmas card scene,and fish for barble on Christmas day till dinner time.
To return to find the log fire burning and the turkey ready.
With just a wireless,no tv.

Wonderful times.