Carp on float

sl1ced

Reaction score
Ok I'm a float man through and through, I don't do boils and bait alarms etc. Bit old fashioned for a 22 year old I know but I find it more fun.

So I'm at my local fishery, I use a Shakespeare match rod fishing away for silvers as I do whn I hooked into a 9lb carp, I say it left me wanting more. So I'm after advice on depths, floats, weight patterns baits etc for carp on the float.

Any advic taken as I'm a carp newb

Dan

dezza

Reaction score
I caught over 60 carp to nearly 20 lbs this year on the float, most of them not in this country.

I would suggest a powerful float fishing rod, something like a 13 foot Drennan Tench Float which is OK for lines to 10lb. Above that I would use a 2lb TC standard 12 foot carp rod.

Standard Drennan 3 AAA crystal waggler floats should be fine, weighted with an olivette. if possible. Locate the float using leger stops, shots tend to weaken the line.

As I caught most of my carp this year on sweetcorn and bread flake, this is what I would tend to use, although boilies and pellets, hair rigged are probably better in most UK waters.

In waters with plenty of room a 10 lb line and an 8 lb fluorocarbon hooklength would be my choice, although in snaggy water with fish to over 30 lbs, I would step the mainline up to 15 lbs with a 12 lb hook length. Hook sizes, 12 to 6 depending on the bait you are using.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Sliced hello .
if you landed the 9lb carp on the tackle you describe why try to
change anything? Just up your feeding they are greedy fish...

little oik

Reaction score
The only thing that I can say is that they are a bit of a ****** to land on a match rod when they decide to keep deep in the margins right under your feet ,can take an age to lift them up ,but great fun just carry on with what you are doing if you find you need a bit more beef then then a stepped up float rod will do the trick ,like the Mk 1V or one of the Korum big fish floats .I have yet to go above 10lb mainline for them however the carp that are available for me to catch are small doubles and in fairly open water .
Dont forget the good old lobworm either, I just snip the very end of the tail off to get the juices flowing and they soon home in on the scent trail

sl1ced

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys, I usually fish 2-3 inches off the bottom then work my way up. Moneys tight ATM but I will look into more rods and lines etc, I do currently use a crystal drennan float pre weighted a size 16 hook and sweetcorn seems to be the winner. Caught me my first golden orfe too!!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Sweetcorn works well

try lunchenmeat - either straight from the tin (cut in to size required) or put the cubes in to a bag and add cury powder then shake well - that's been workign for me at the moment

sl1ced

Reaction score
ok boys gave a new tactic a go, crystal float pre loaded with a hair rig on the bottom and like a rubber stop tied into it, moulded my bread around that then found the bottom, lifted off about 2-3 inches and had a really good time. a barbel numberous small carp, a mahoosive chub, then a 9lb mirror. for me thats a good day!! all on my local pools in the afternoon.

and i figured a way to secure my match rod onto the harley davidson ;)

happy boy

dan xx