IS IT ACCEPTABLE?

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

First off I would like to make it very clear that I am asking a question and not making a staement.
---------------------------------------

Is it acceptable that members of this website can quite freely slag off items of branded tackle as long as the companys that manufacture them do not advertise on this site?

Shimano are not one of the sponsors of this site and now and again in the discussion groups they get a slagging off in favour of Okuma reels. But is this okay seeing that thatShimano are not one of our sponsors?

<u>Another queery that I find confuseing.</u>

This is what the Tackle section of members reviews tells us to do -:

Read what others say about fishing products and equiptment they've tried on FM's member review system and get involved by <u>having your own say.</u> You might even win a prize!

I only looked at one review which concerned one of the branded mainlines. The review stated simply <u>not to waste your money.</u>
I didn?t bother looking any further, as I am sure you will know the point I am making.

So then,
Is it okay to slag a product off simply because the manufacturer does not advertise on this site?
Who is to say that the said manufacturer has not been thinking of advertiseing on Fishing Magic? But when they see reviews like this they change their minds.

I can provide a link to said mainline review if required.

I

Ian Cloke

I don't think "slagging" any product/company does anyone any good Baz, constructive criticism is the way to go mate. If someone isn't happy with a product/company then explain why, without slagging it/them off. people will generally take more notice of a well worded criticism, than a rant or tirade.

So NO I don't think it's right to slag ANY product/company.

B

Bill Cox

A couple of points Baz mate, firstly its usually shimano users slagging off okuma as being a poor substitute. secondly if you only had good revues because of the fear of upsetting sponsors or even potental sponsors then surly that would be defeating the object of the section. When someone puts a product on the market its after they have done there homework, found the market there aiming at and designed somthing to aim at that market. If the product for whatever reason turns out to be poor then they should expect to get bad revues.

B

Bill Cox

Although i agree with Ian, you don't have to be offensive to put a criticism over.

Ginger

Reaction score
Must say i agree with Ian on this one.
Constructive criticism by all means,if you`re not happy with a product then say so,but it is only you`re opinion.

E

EC

Of course, it is the definition of 'a good slagging' that is the issue.

I would say 'Dont waste your money' was more harsh than a simple

'I think its ^(*'

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Thank you all for your replys.
Yes I agree with that Bill, and I was wrong on that point. I did make an offencive remark without thinking first.
But for most of it I honestly can't see what I said wrong.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Slagging and constructive criticism mean much the same to me. There is very little difference between the two.

B

Bill Cox

Nor can i Baz as i missed whatever it was. Care to enlighten me? I take it this is all tied in with the A word comment on another thread.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Slagging and constructive criticism mean much the same to me. There is very little difference between the two.

I fear that is the problem Baz, there is a world of difference.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Baz admits he was wrong " and I was wrong on that point"

So shocked I forgot to say Tally Ho

Gets port bottle and slumps in leather chair

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Can't wait for the resident Wolf Pack to come and pick my bones clean over this one.

Sorry you disagree Richard mate. Bad is Bad no matter which way you look at it in my book.

I

Ian Cloke

"Slagging and constructive criticism mean much the same to me. There is very little difference between the two."

Problem with the above statement is, it's from Baz ;o))

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Lord Paul.
I think you must owe me at least four or five Tally Ho's by now. But you won't be oweing me any more that's for sure.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I see they are circling already, just waiting the chance to pounce on any little morsel that comes your way.

B

Bill Cox

cheers Baz, am in work now so will look at mail tonight when i return home.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Unfortunately Baz the world is not simply black and white, or right and wrong. Sometimes it helps to engage ones brain and sit and think before saying or typing what comes into ones head.

Also there are times ( for the majority of us ) when we have to put up our hands and say sorry, we are all human and make mistakes. I have yet to meet 'Mr or Mrs Perfect'. Knowing when we have reached the point of holding our hands up is not always easy for some folk to recognise.

Among the makes that Argos sell are Keenets, Shimano, Zebco, Leeda, and Sundridge, are they bad. We live in a free country, free economy and free speech etc, however these come with some responsibility. There is a place for Argos in the free market place, if you don't wish to shop there, that is your choice and rightly so.

Slagging off, bad mouthing, whatever you wish to call it, IS NOT constructive criticism. By its name constructive means building up, not knocking down.

I don't think the topic really deserves the time and thought I have put into this reply, but I hope you might take some of it on board Baz and not go of on another one and try to dissect this post in order to prolong things or try to provoke an argument which really will not go anywhere in my humble opinion.