national identity card

Michael Garner

Reaction score
i would like to ask the question ,
how is it possible for the goverment
to be spending yours and ours TAX MONEY
on a guaranteed LOSS OF ALL THE MONEY in the next couple of years
how can you possibly have a NATIONAL PHOTAGRAPHIC ID CARD when muslim women can,t or wont be allowed to show their faces by their religous beliefs when they live in a christian country and this is millions and millions of everyones hard earned money

B

Bill Cox

I doubt it would ever happen mate, it would require a beast of a software package and a mammoth mainframe to house and collate all the info. remember the last two fiascos with the CSA and the DSS programs being manfully inadequate.
Regardless of if they got it to work right or not it would not happen in my house. I have two ID's which i need for my job and i am CIB checked for by job as well. These things i submit to because i see its an integral requirement of my chosen proffesion. But i'm dammed if i will carry an ID card with tons of personal info about me on it to qualify me to be a citizen of my own country!! i'll go to prison first !

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi Michael how are you doing? :)

Bill, it will happen mate I have no doubt about it, not yet, but in the not too distant future.

Have you got Google Earth? It's free, can you imagine what the government version is like?

I would imagine it's live and they can lip read with it!!!

Just don't say "B**B"! Big Brother is watching YOU!

S

Scott Whatmore

I believe Steve is right, I.D cards are coming.

I have no objection to proving who I am to anyone with a legitimate interest. I already carry more than enough to prove it. After all, like most people, I have nothing to hide.

What I do object to is the cost to us all, whether directly or indirectly, of what will undoubtedly be a shambolic failure due to the government's lack of foresight and in-adequate funding.

Initially, the main reason for their introduction was to be security. But as we know only too well, if it can be made, it can be copied.

And finally to agree with what Michael is saying. When they bring I.D cards in, they must be able to insist on people showing their face, regardless of their beliefs. If they dont want to, they should live somewhere else!

Will foreign visitors be expected to carry I.D cards?

Michael Garner

Reaction score
hi steve(db) have been quite ill but am getting better all the time ,
looking forward to going fishing next year
hope you are keeping well & tight lines

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What the hell is wrong with a passport.

I've been a passport holder since the age of 18.

Moslem women will NOT show their faces on an ID card and that I can assure you. The photography of moslem women in moslem countries is illegal.

In SA, everyone has to carry an ID card, except moslem women.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ron that stinks!

How can anyone be exempt from the law?

Glad to hear you're ok Michael, how is the sunny South coast?

Steaker de Lurker

Reaction score
Some foreign visitors <u>do</u> carry non-compulsory national identity cards.
They have no official recognition in the UK and although not compulsory in places like France, they are highly reccommended in order to avoid lenthy periods of detention, whilst an ID is confirmed.
As with Bill, being a registered engineer, I have government issued ID cards, required by legislation. I coach kids and therefore hold a CRB certificate.
I personally would prefer it, if one card covered all, driving license etc. As it all appears to be a bit fractured and clique-ish at the moment and eventually when I renew my passport, I will automatically be issued with an ID card anyway.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I know it stinks Steve. But that's the way it is.

I remember a right old palava at Jan Smuts Airport (now called Johannesburg International Airport) where several veiled moslem women who were apparently on the passports of their husbands were asked by officials to identify themselves.

There was a right old stink about it.

B

Bill Cox

Therin lies the big problem, all this will do is victimise the average citizen while allowing those who are rich enough, non conformist or illegal a loophole to get out of it. As far as airports are concerned where's the problem? if they won't show their faces then F*ck em off back to where they came from. Don't lock them up or investigate just put them on the next plane out, after confiscating as much money or possesions as needed to cover the cost.

Michael Garner

Reaction score
i propose we vote to make BILL COX

the next prime minister, never has one man spoken what we all know is the real truth

good on yer bill

Steaker de Lurker

Reaction score
How about making the airlines responsible Bill, if they let 'em on, let them stand the cost of sending them back.

B

Bill Cox

Yes good idea Lurk!! private enterprises won't get caught for much,should cut most out before they get here.

I like this idea of me being the PM Micheal.
And i would have the following in my cabinet.
1. A bottle of Plymouth Gin.
2. Chancelor -- G. Mc Wallet-Marsden
3. Minister of defence - Baz
4. Chief scientific adviser - Cakey
5. Minister for Internal Affairs - Monk (special emphasis on the affairs)
6. Foriegn office - Ron (that way i could send him abroad all the time, and he would'nt be able to bore me with tales of SA)
7. Immigration - swordsy
8. Educaton - Rik

W

Wolfman Woody

This is the way Britain and the British Government is and always has been -

Take a simple idea - issuing of ID cards -

and make a mountain out of a molehill.

Simple ID card - cost perhaps a fiver. Give the idea to the Cabinet and they want biometric ID and eye prints etc. on it, one wants all the person health records on it, another wants it to replace his driving licence with all his convictions (traffic and criminal) on it, another want it for his employment and tax records, and someone else for their pension details, and someone else so they can trace wherever you are at any one point in time.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Card, picture, signature - Fiver. The Government's - ?450 each to you and you MUST have one. (illegals, drug takers and those on supplementary benefit can have one for nothing so spend your money now chaps)

Patrick Leigh 2

Reaction score
Oh it's happening .. and as a supplier to the UK police, UK Visas and the Home Office I am so damn happy it is.. a lovely order and roll out over the next few years..

Muslim women will indeed have to have their veil removed for the pictures.. just like they have to if they are applying for a UK passport or to get a VISA into this country from a foreign land, and that includes ALL muslim countries (but then again, the VISA offices are placed within British Embassy land and as such are classed as British soil for the purpose of requiring the removal of religious head wear).. no decent picture when applying for VISA, then NO VISA..

The biometrics are awesome, our software could pick you out of a crowd by your eyes alone if you're on the database :)

The loopholes are closing and the instigation of such schemes will make them impenetrable to 99.99% of current abusers. The 00.01% are normally government officers, departments or special forces anyhoo.

Long live the ID card and National Database, it keeps my company going for a while longer :)