Drennan starlights

xenon

Reaction score
Back from a two day trip on the Kennet and used drennan starlights both nights. One pack I opened was only about 4 weeks old, and yet the light faded rapidly within an hour of "snapping" them. Does not appear to be a shelf life printed on the pack so no idea how long they are supposed to last. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

Reaction score
Not had the problem.

At my local tackle shop a pack of 2 is £1.

I get mine from Lidl when they have them in - pack of 100 for £2.92! They come in yellow/green, red and blue. Last about 8 hours.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Star lights do appear to have a shelf life. In my experience it's around 3 years. Keeping them in a freezer helps prolong their life if you've bought more than you need. I'd suggest buying from a shop with a faster turnover of stock.

Paul C

Reaction score
As Sean says, I store mine in chest freezer and just take out a pack at a time.

They work straight out of the freezer so no need to worry about leaving them out for any period.

I have found they don't work once the pack has been opened unless you've just opened it.

If I use one and leave one for a future session, it often doesn't work so the pack you had may have split or not been air tight?

chav professor

Reaction score
Drennan starlites are NOT 'Starlites'.... IMO these are the originol and best.

I cannot quite understand why they deteriate after the pack is opened?

Now, drennan isotopes - they are brilliant. I have a set on my old J Wilson rod and they are still bright after 9 years. My mate bought some isotopes from the tackle shop and they had run out of the drennan ones... Due to the fragile glass vials of the apparently 'superior' isotopes, he broke them on his first trip out. The drennan isotopes have a rubber surround and are practically bomb proof..

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I suspect it's due to oxygen permeating in through the plastic of the tube. The packets might well be packed in a nitrogen atmosphere. These glowy chemicals are pretty reactive.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Once a 'starlite' is taken from its pack it will deteriorate quite quickly. I had a couple of sessions ruined before I realised this.

Keep them in the foil containers they come in unopened.

The Lidl ones are indeed brilliant ( boom-boom) but are a bit big. At that price, who's complaining, though.

Paul C

Reaction score
I cannot quite understand why they deteriate after the pack is opened?

I don't know, but they do and have caught me out in the past.

Lidl only do them when they have the fishing gear special offers on, so they won't be in stock permanently.

The Lidl ones are fine for putting in a tip carrier in a decent test curve rod, but a bit big for other more sensitive set ups... and you'll be spotted from some distance too!! :eek:

chav professor

Reaction score
I don't know, but they do and have caught me out in the past.

Lidl only do them when they have the fishing gear special offers on, so they won't be in stock permanently.

The Lidl ones are fine for putting in a tip carrier in a decent test curve rod, but a bit big for other more sensitive set ups... and you'll be spotted from some distance too!! :eek:

If your using them on you rods - definately invest in the superficially more expensive Drennan isotope. One set is over 9 years old and still pretty bright, though nowhere near as bright as chemoluminescence - but i think that could be an advantage.

Might try and get hold of some of the lidl ones for the bass rods though...

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I avoid/ed the Dennan lights like the plague :eek:

On average probably over 50% were US when opened. Although a little of the big side for rod top use, the Liddl lights are best. Although any thoughts of night fishing is out for me these days, at least when alone.

I always found that after only a few hours use if the lights are stored in the freezer (Wrap them in a piece of kitchen paper then wet before freezing) they can be used 2-3 times. Just take out the frozen wrap when needed and it will be defrosted by the time they are needed. I always keep my unused 'starlights' in the fridge. Probably a good tip for retailers to follow.

I used to buy the Liddl boxes in 3's, and as I said, keep them in the fridge

At least when using the Liddl lights, the sea trout anglers couldn't claim they didn't see my rod :D

I also bought the 2 in a pack Drennan Beta lights, they were so dim I couldnt see them when I dropped them :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Paul C

Reaction score
I have got the Drennan soft plastic ones as well and I do normally use two of those on the river and just carry some of the Lidl ones for an emergency.

I use the drennan chemical ones on a swing tip in the smallest size.