Auto Shot thingy....

njb51

Reaction score
Nice review, Jeff.

Quick question........

Is the blade replaceable? I imagine after a while it will become blunt and not be so effective at cutting the shot.

F

Fred Bonney

So Jeff,if you want all three sizes to start,is that 3 x ?9.99,or do you reload the applicator, everytime, you want to change your shot size!

W

Wolfman Woody

Yes Fred, it is ?9.99 for each size because you set the applicator blade to the depth you require on that size of shot.

I can see where you're coming from but I'm happy now that I can apply no 8s very quickly. In fact, I can fix three shot in place in roughly the same time as it took me to find the split on one before.

Jonny, You'll probably find that the blade is ten times stronger than the shot. I'll ask for you though.

W

Wolfman Woody

Jonny - from the head man himself -

"Blades are hardenned steel & against Lead should last indefinately. However if anyone has a problem spares can be made available."

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Cheers Jeff, I have the same problem under No. 6 shot, should save on the teeth too, not having to bite them on, and easy to keep the shot 'splits' in line for the more fussy anglers.

"...got fed up of dropping small split shot into the mud, so he?s now well pleased with this little gizmo from Dinsmores that automates the job..."

That threw me a bit, I took it to mean automated the job of dropping shot into the mud :eek:]

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Jeff, I like the idea and I don't think they are the first to use it but what puzzles me most is why the shot is more costly without the split than with it?

I too am one of those that drops three or four for every one I put on, so this solves that problem.

W

Wolfman Woody

"...got fed up of dropping small split shot into the mud, so he?s now well pleased with this little gizmo from Dinsmores that automates the job?"

I didn't write that bit Merv. It was Granville. He's bought one for size 11 shot.

The Styx version is now out. If anyone wants to see the film on how it works, PM me. It's a 6mb file though....

F

Fred Bonney

Well, I suppose you get two extra bird scarers, for your money!

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
I was given one of these Auto Shotters from Dinsmore to test for AS about two years ago and although it was ok to start with soon went down hill with problems with the anvil and blade not cutting central into shot.
I dont use it anymore

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
hahahah your not tight at all Graham ;) you have to take them off though or cut your line?

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Wendy
Dont bother with it unless its vastly improved.
When i tested one out a couple of years ago for Nigel the director of Dinsmore i told him i would give it 1 out of 10 and found it useless.
He actually thanked me for telling him the truth and sent me another which was much better but after a period of time did not cut the shot central which is imperative for my type of fishing.If they have improved the auto shotter all well and good as its handy for grouping small shot but somehow i doubt it

W

Wolfman Woody

Good question Wendy, how do you get them off? (quick edit - the shot of course!)

As I said in the review, I can't see that anyone would want to. If you suddenly found you've over-shotted a float then adjust one of the larger split shot by exchanging it for a smaller one. Typically these shot will be on your hooklink and are used as the "tell-tale" shot.

However, if you are using a stick float and have strung the no 8s say all the way up shirt-button fashion then you would have a problem if you'd over-shotted or if your change float for something lighter. Best way then is to use one or two standard no8 split shot or substitute with a no6 split shot now and then. It's not going to make that much difference to presentation at the end of the day. IMO.

W

Wolfman Woody

I spoke with Nigel (Dinsmores' boss) this afternoon and he agrees, most of the time youwouldn't want to take them off, but if you did then untie the hooklink and slide them off.

Over all, I think the plusses outweigh the minusses.

And there more ideas coming out like this he tells me.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Nigel rang me this evening and told me that major improvements have been made since the one i reviewed for the Angling Star when it first came on the market.
Nigel said the blade in the early Auto shotter was too sharp and pulled the shot back out of position.
At the time i reviewed the product i did say it was the best thing out since sliced bread and also remember i was rigging many stickfloats up and not just using it for the odd shot.
Nigel has posted the new one on and asked for my opinion and it says a lot for Dinsmore that they actually take notice of what the average angler thinks wether its good or bad.
I have spoken to Nigel on a few occasions and he does listen and more power to his elbow for doing so because i can name a few companies that do not

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Cheers Merve
I am looking and feeling like shite to be honest and awaiting test results.
Yep us Yorkies are an owt for nowt but a least Nigel will get to hear the truth.
Merve is it right Traveller is now on Tom Tom Sat Nav

F

Fred Bonney

That's fatal then John,she'll end up back where she started!