Set up for lure fishing

Juan Villar 2

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could give me some advice on setting up me rod to use a lure. Never fished with lures before and wondered if there's anything I need to know before cracking on.

I will be fishing with 10lb mono and connecting the lure with a snap swivel, is this the correct way to go?

Do I need to attach a trace if im fishing around rocks?

Any advice would me very helpfull.

M

MarkTheSpark

Juan

You're on the right track so far. Your rod/reel combination will dictate how far and accurately you cast. I think a rod of ten foot is about right, rated for 1 1/2 - 2oz casting weight.

Used a fixed spool by all means, but bear in mind that a narrow spool diameter will be less efficient than a wide one. Don't overfill the spool, but get the line to within 5mm of the lip.

I'd like to persuade you that a coated braid line will be much better, but maybe later. Multipliers likewise.

You don't really need a trace at all unless you're tackling toothy fish like pike. You could add six feet of, say, 15lb fluoro as a leader to ensure everthing's tough enough

Juan Villar 2

Reaction score
Thanks Mark. Going by what you said about rod/rell combination I think I have that covered. Also I have never used a leader so I wouldnt know how to connect one to the main line.