Front Drag Reel Refurbishment?

Reaction score
I have a couple of lovely Daiwa Regal BRi reels and need to clean the drag system because it’s getting sticky e.g. set low the clutch releases line easily and evenly but at a higher drag it gets sticky and doesn’t give line freely.

I know how to get the drag washers out of the front drag system but what do I use to clean and re-grease the alternating metal and fibre/ fabric washers, and is it actually worth doing or has my reel reached the end of its life?

Any ideas welcome :)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
A picture's worth a thousand words, two are better.

wheelie-bin-1100.png

shimano%20Baitrunner%20RE.jpg

Try for GTE-C 5000s

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Get em serviced professionally ****y. You know it makes sense.

Nice picture Jeff...whenever I see a re-cycling bin I think of Shimano reels too.I really dont follow the obsession with this brand. I've owned & used them but I didn't find them particularly special and dont own a single one any more. Maybe I'd notice a difference if I was doing heavy duty stuff day in day out but as I'm not I dont think they are worth the money. Big,ugly heavy things too. Yuk !

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'm with ****y - I like them! They are not easy to strip though, or rather once stripped (and the bait runner mechanism has gone boing) they are a pain to get back together.

The stickyness is due to old oil building up between the plates of the drag. It's a while since I stripped one of mine, but if I remember rightly there's a screw on the drag adjuster that allows you to remove the knob and the spring. I'd stop there and wash the plates in parafin, allow to drain and then lube with a bit of light oil.

When I reassembled the last one I stripped I ended up with a clicky antireverse!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Nice picture Jeff...whenever I see a re-cycling bin I think of Shimano reels too.
It was because ****y was talking about free runner reels and I still think that Shimano make the best baitrunners albeit the bodies are the same size now whether you buy the 5000, 6000, 8000, or (I believe) 10000. Unless you buy the new smaller models on which, the jury is still out, but my mate has some that he swears by.

In serious mode now - Sean is probably right in that it is clarty particles and old oil that's causing the jerkiness. If you take it apart, detail on a pad how and where everything fits as you remove it. This usually works out when you reverse the notes, unless of course, there's one part that when you remove the screw a dozen other parts shoot across the room. If this happens follow my plan A with the Biffa bin. :D :D :D

When I reassembled the last one I stripped I ended up with a clicky antireverse!
I got that a few weeks ago Sean when I took apart an Regal Z 3500 to clean it all out. It was a bit of trial and error, but the ratchet fits back in a certain way and after a couple of goes I sorted it - silence again.

(Tested a Shakespeare reel some years ago that had a noisy anti-reverse and when I looked at the parts explosion list I saw this little piece called 'Noise piece'. I reversed it's action and the reel was silent. It was there just to make a noise, nothign to do with the anti-reverse at all, it made the noise with the anti reverse off!)

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback folks :)

As it's just the main drag that's knackered and the plates are easy to get to, I think I'll follow Sean's advice.

Would lighter fluid do the same cleaning job as paraffin? And is 3 in 1 a suitable lube cos I have those to hand?

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Get em serviced professionally ****y. You know it makes sense.

Nice picture Jeff...whenever I see a re-cycling bin I think of Shimano reels too.I really dont follow the obsession with this brand. I've owned & used them but I didn't find them particularly special and dont own a single one any more. Maybe I'd notice a difference if I was doing heavy duty stuff day in day out but as I'm not I dont think they are worth the money. Big,ugly heavy things too. Yuk !

I'm far too tight to pay for professional servicing Skip!

Totally agree on the Shimanos; I prefer Daiwa and Okuma these days (although the Stradic is still an all time classic) :)

dezza

Reaction score
Other than Mitchells which I owned in the 50s and 60s, I have used nothing but Shimanos and Daiwas to the present date. I have never really had a problem with either and I have used them for some very heavy work indeed.

Today I would put Daiwa reels slightly ahead of Shimano, but only slightly.

As regards drags sticking, watch out that you never put WD40 or any other oil of this type on a modern fishing reel. There are people who think that if anything goes wrong, spray it with WD 40. 3 in 1 is also bad news too.

The Daiwa TDX 3012 is probably the best FS reel I have ever seen.

flightliner

Reaction score
****y, go to your local gunshop and buy "Garland" gun cleaner spray or get some off the internet-- my gunbarrels sometimes get small deposits of plastic layering inside from the plastic wads from the cartridge as well as a little lead plus the usual carbon deposits. Spray your reel with it and for sure all the **** that is impeding the action of the reels will be cleared-- afterwards you can apply a little light oil of your choice.

B

Berty

****y, go to your local gunshop and buy "Garland" gun cleaner spray or get some off the internet-- my gunbarrels sometimes get small deposits of plastic layering inside from the plastic wads from the cartridge as well as a little lead plus the usual carbon deposits. Spray your reel with it and for sure all the **** that is impeding the action of the reels will be cleared-- afterwards you can apply a little light oil of your choice.

Now that is real advice........i'll lock that one away in the old grey matter.

watatoad

Reaction score
Like some others I would recommend using a professional service.

WD40 pity so very very few have ever actually read what it says on the can. Sewing machine oil is better than 3 in 1 for reels but a much better choice is an oil actually designed and recommended for reels.

I use a rule of never no not never ever mix oils or greases although it means I have a small collection of various oils and greases I think it pays by the quality of service I get from my reels, some of which I have been using for over fifty years.

Reaction score
Like some others I would recommend using a professional service.

WD40 pity so very very few have ever actually read what it says on the can. Sewing machine oil is better than 3 in 1 for reels but a much better choice is an oil actually designed and recommended for reels.

I use a rule of never no not never ever mix oils or greases although it means I have a small collection of various oils and greases I think it pays by the quality of service I get from my reels, some of which I have been using for over fifty years.

Cheers Wata,

Just found a bottle of shimano reel oil; can I use that to re-lube the drag discs or should I get some bespoke drag grease?

Do you go with paraffin for cleaning them in the first instance?

watatoad

Reaction score
Cheers Wata,

Just found a bottle of shimano reel oil; can I use that to re-lube the drag discs or should I get some bespoke drag grease?

Do you go with paraffin for cleaning them in the first instance?

Here I go for all you out there who are considering servicing your own reels.
However I will be answering slightly in the dark as I do not know this reel model but here goes.

Oil and grease are very different types of lubricant, so I would use a bespoke drag grease.

Ah! paraffin I only use this as a first level cleaner as it leaves quite a deposit behind itself. petrol is far better and methylated spirits is for me even better but for the best of all final clean pure alcohol, which you can get from any good chemists (and I am teetotal)...hehehe As you will gather by the fact I wash items several times in different cleansers I make a bit of a meal with the level of cleaning and servicing I go too and accept than some will say I am anal...never mind I don't...hehehe. You can also but a propriety cleanser I guess I just enjoy doing it my way and it has worked out cheaper over the years.

But they are all very dangerously inflammable so no naked lights and think about what you are doing and where you plan to do it. Please try not to get yourself covered in any inflammable product. Please remember I am thinking of a complete novice to any form of DIY or the use of tools when I am answering any question concerning fishing tackle maintenance and servicing.

When I started cleaning my reels because I could not afford to pay anyone to do it for me I got an old baking dish and a couple of new paint brushes, a new toothbrush, some wire wool, a couple of wide bottomed clean and empty glass jars (currently I use colemans square shaped glass jars which my wife buys her tartar sauce in). I was not allowed to bring the item I wanted to clean and my 'Don't you dare bring any dangerous chemicals into the house my mother squeaked to me as a young lad'. I then went (and this was a few years ago, well nearly sixty years ago...hehehe and I lived in London which had lots of handy tackle shops within very easy reach) into a few tackle shops and asked "How do I clean my reels?" These days I would get a schematic drawing then download a copy and advice how to service a particular reel from the manufacturer or a very respected internet source.

I hope this helps if you are not certain when stripping down anything always work in a clean area and lay the parts out in the order you take them off and make a note of each part you undo and or remove.

Reaction score
Here I go for all you out there who are considering servicing your own reels.
However I will be answering slightly in the dark as I do not know this reel model but here goes.

Oil and grease are very different types of lubricant, so I would use a bespoke drag grease.

Ah! paraffin I only use this as a first level cleaner as it leaves quite a deposit behind itself. petrol is far better and methylated spirits is for me even better but for the best of all final clean pure alcohol, which you can get from any good chemists (and I am teetotal)...hehehe As you will gather by the fact I wash items several times in different cleansers I make a bit of a meal with the level of cleaning and servicing I go too and accept than some will say I am anal...never mind I don't...hehehe. You can also but a propriety cleanser I guess I just enjoy doing it my way and it has worked out cheaper over the years.

But they are all very dangerously inflammable so no naked lights and think about what you are doing and where you plan to do it. Please try not to get yourself covered in any inflammable product. Please remember I am thinking of a complete novice to any form of DIY or the use of tools when I am answering any question concerning fishing tackle maintenance and servicing.

When I started cleaning my reels because I could not afford to pay anyone to do it for me I got an old baking dish and a couple of new paint brushes, a new toothbrush, some wire wool, a couple of wide bottomed clean and empty glass jars (currently I use colemans square shaped glass jars which my wife buys her tartar sauce in). I was not allowed to bring the item I wanted to clean and my 'Don't you dare bring any dangerous chemicals into the house my mother squeaked to me as a young lad'. I then went (and this was a few years ago, well nearly sixty years ago...hehehe and I lived in London which had lots of handy tackle shops within very easy reach) into a few tackle shops and asked "How do I clean my reels?" These days I would get a schematic drawing then download a copy and advice how to service a particular reel from the manufacturer or a very respected internet source.

I hope this helps if you are not certain when stripping down anything always work in a clean area and lay the parts out in the order you take them off and make a note of each part you undo and or remove.

Bl**dy brilliant!

Cheers matey! I hate thowing things out and love repairing/ refurbishing things myself. :)

Great post ! :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
****y...you are a spectacularly tight git but I admire your determination. Every time I try something like this there seems to be a loud "ping" and a hitherto unseen vital bit of reel rockets past me never to be seen again.

I have an Adcock centrepin in desperate need of attention but I am paranoid about removing the bearings and knackering the reel...if I knew how to remove them in the first place...which I dont. Anybody ?

Skippy

watatoad

Reaction score
****y...you are a spectacularly tight git but I admire your determination. Every time I try something like this there seems to be a loud "ping" and a hitherto unseen vital bit of reel rockets past me never to be seen again.

I have an Adcock centrepin in desperate need of attention but I am paranoid about removing the bearings and knackering the reel...if I knew how to remove them in the first place...which I dont. Anybody ?

Skippy

Its usually the outer bearing which gets the high wear on the adcocks that are fitted with bearings. Are you sure your reel has bearings? I would hate to try to give a blow by blow guide to stripping a reel to a novice especially a reel that I have not seen nor handled and would suggest get a friend or colleague locally to show you for two reasons 1: they are likely to have any necessary tools to hand and 2: They can literally guide you hand on hand and you will get more confident and a better understanding of your fishing tackle/reels.

I would suggest you download schematics for your reel and study them before even doing this with a friend. As I believe this will help you to understand your reel and your friends advice far easier.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Definately a bearing reel. I cleaned this one up & got it running very nicely well over a year ago but haven't used it since. Having subsequently seen some of the advice on here I realise now I probably used something I shouldn't have and I suspect the problem is emulsified ****. Before I do anything else I'm thinking a bit of petrol or some such suitable solvent carefully applied might shift some of the tom tit. I certainly think I'd best do that before attempting to remove the bearings.

Fool that I am I thought they would simply drop out like they did on my Marco Cortesi !

watatoad

Reaction score
Definately a bearing reel. I cleaned this one up & got it running very nicely well over a year ago but haven't used it since. Having subsequently seen some of the advice on here I realise now I probably used something I shouldn't have and I suspect the problem is emulsified ****. Before I do anything else I'm thinking a bit of petrol or some such suitable solvent carefully applied might shift some of the tom tit. I certainly think I'd best do that before attempting to remove the bearings.

Fool that I am I thought they would simply drop out like they did on my Marco Cortesi !

Sounds a good idea to me.

Sealey make a good and reliable range of bearing pullers, they are not the top end but slightly over midway and I have found them to be reliable, plus once you have identified the puller you need don't forget ebay in the section garage equipment or under metalworking. Maybe an expense you can do without, so before you spend any money you may find you can get assistance from a friendly local garage or engineering firm. On the assumption you do not plan to replace bearings very often some hire companies will hire you various bearing pullers but there are many different types a friend who works in engineering can be a great help here.

Guess I just like to be independent which is why I always treat myself to a puller of my own when I need a different sort of puller and its not often maybe once in seven years but what with lending them to friends at different times on the understanding that if they ruin them they will replace them it has helped me help a lot of other anglers over the years. Perhaps that is why I have so many good friend nowadays...knew it was not my good looks and boyish charm...hehehe

If anyone removes the bearings before you throw away the old ones just try thoroughly cleaning them and repacking them with the correct grease and Please remember to note the numbers on the bearings then you can buy then in a more direct line than expensively from a tackle dealer.

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

After washing old bearings really thoroughly I stand in the garden spinning them then wash them again then place them on some kitchen towel in the airing cupboard to thoroughly dry out before repacking them with grease.

But please note some bearings are sealed for life and do not allow repacking only replacing.

Last edited:

Morespiders

Reaction score
Just take it apart, clean it, use any thin oil, and put it together again, you worry to much Mr ****y
Its not a Rolex