Various - I'm a beginner (converted course angler)

Gazster

Reaction score
I been boat fishing for a few years(following many years course and pike fishing) but now I decided to try my luck at beach fishing and I've a few questions.

Multiplier or fixed spool? I'm familiar with using both through boat and course fishing.
Braid or mono? Again I'm used both before.
Length of beachcaster? I've seen sizes from 11ft 6" to 18ft!!!.

I live in Dorset and intend fishing around Swanage, Lulworth and Weymouth areas. Any tips on specific areas to fish would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Gaz

S

Simon Colledge

Gaz
I would say go for a 12ft rod with a medium-fast action, with a fixed spool reel. there isn't much in it nower days with regards to distance if you were using a multiplier, plus I find it much easier to use a fixed spool, as regards to mono or braid, you want something with a bit of stretch when going off the shore, braid is good if you want to feel the fish but as you are still learning I would suggest you use something with a bit of give and mono is good for that, you can use braid for your rigs, which a lot of my friends are doing at the moment, I cannot help you with your area, but I'm sure if you pop into your local tackle shop they will point you in the right direction.
There is one thing about using a fixed spool off the shore watch you finger when casting, but I'm pretty sure you know what I mean. Good luck
Simon