Sean's Story

S

sash

Superb. I really enjoyed that. It took me back to some of the descriptive chapters in BB's writings or even some of Yate's early stuff.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
That was a lovely read Sean, congratulations mate, Ireland of bygone years eh! Poverty was the norm but they were a happy lot and seemed not to notice.

I was on a ship based in Londonderry for six months in 1957 and it really opened my eyes to how much difference there was between the poor of Ireland and the poor of England. They really did lead a meagre existence but no one could ever say they were depressed in any way, they enjoyed life to the full.

I was drafted to a minesweeper based at Harwich and had to travel from Derry to Belfast and on to the night ferry to Liverpool thence by train to Harwich. It took me 2 days and a night and I shall never forget that nightime crossing on the ferry. I had to sit on the upper deck because there were no seats below and it blew a gale all the way over, even worse the seats were slatted wood and boy did my a..e ache when we got there. All around me people were retching and moaning, kids screaming it was a nightmare but that sort of crossing was considered normal at the time.

Paul C

Reaction score
Great read. You set the scenes superbly Sean.

What a difference to the Ireland of today. It's a wealthy country in the main these days and often puts us to shame.

T

The Monk

brilliant Sean, you write very well mate, very well indeed, look forward to the follow ups

P

paul williams 2

Nice one Sean.......it provoked me to search for some old photo's..........i might send Graham mine yet!

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks guys. It was a bit of an experiment so I'm glad you liked it!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
A true man of words. You have a talent for painting a picture with them. Use it.

J

john conway

I think the lads have said most of what I wanted to say Sean, excellent bloody excellent, you deserve one round of my rosary beads ? Hail Mary full of grace???

F

Fred Bonney

Magical writing Sean,it was like being by your side.
More please...soon!

Paul C

Reaction score
However, what's with the photo of Les Batersby?

(Got to put his feet back on the deck somehow after all this praise...)

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Sean EXCELLENT mate!!! i really enjoyed that i love how the Irish talk it's great!
Can't wait for part 2.

T

The Monk

haha, yes you do have a bit of a Les Battersby look about you Sean